• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed fostering??

mumofthumps

Alpha Buck
I have a query I know that this is nothign to do with bunnies but I didnt know where else to go!??? :(

My step daughters are moving to america with their mum, but they have a guinea pig and as yet nothing has been done to fine him a new home. We have thumper our house bun indoors. My question is that if I were to rehome him and become a foster parent for him would he be ok to be outside? He lives outside at the moment and what I have heard doesnt get a lot of attention - he just lives in his hutch. Id like himto be able to run around EITHER in our house or outside, but obviously couldnt at the same time as thumper. I just want this little chap to be happy until we can find him a forever home and dont know what will happen if I dont takE him in? He doesnt bite at and seems to be friendly towards humans. I just wondered if it would be easy to get him a forever home? Any help really appreciated!!! Thanks

Guinea Pig Rehome you could put the piggie on there .....
A lot of people have Guinea pigs living outside the seem fine.
I've heard a few saying the very cold months they move them into a shed.. Has his hutch got a run with it ?

I dont know If it has a run??? I hope it does I really am worried for his welfare only found out they had him by chance!!! If not then any would be very welcome!!!

Well I think it'll be really nice if you could take him to live with you until you rehome him.. Poor lad sounds he could do with some attention and maybe a partner.... What were they doing with him if you couldn't of taken him ?

I dont know- and thats the worrying thing! I donT think he has been neutured so that may be a problem rehomeing, if it were me Id keep him but we havent room inside for him :( and I know thumps would go mad if Corey(the guinea pig) got to run aorund and he didnt! But he does need ot be bale to runa round a bit!

I'm no guinea expert but I think unneutered males can live together quite happily so it may be easier to rehome him than you think.

Aw poor boy :(

You could try posting his details and photos on the forum attached to guineapigrehome, which is very much like this one in terms of caring people:
www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

The most common options with getting adult males a friend is having them neutered nad putting them with a girl, or getting them a baby boar friend- 2 adult boars introduced will usually fight.

How about roping off part of a room so he could have a run around at the same time as Thumps? You could get some of those cage grids and do something like this

m11.jpg

That has stuff in it but you get the idea- guinea pigs dont need a high cage as they cant climb or jump.

guinea pigs can be neutered but it is not as common as it is for rabbits. two males can live together but as they are both adults it may be hard to introduce them together - tried this with females. A baby boar would be very easy to introduce to the adult boar as long as is done on neutral terms etc - did this with my female guinea big and they love each other now!

Good luck

If he was neutered he could have a sow friend from rescue - my BIL ended up with a pair after P@H miss-sexed, he had the boy neutered and he now lives happily with the girl and their daughter.

Caz

Oh should not have read this, you are only up the road from me and very tempted to offer a home, not sure other half would agree tho.
I have a piggy outside and he is fine. Are you sure you couldnt have him in your garden. :D

:lol: Well we could have him in the garden temporary but I would feel awful because thumps is inside - we only have a 2 bed house and at the moment our new kitchen is taking up the spare room so we cant corner a part of the house off. The only place in the garden that would be suitable doesnt have any protection from the wind or rain! :(

Well , we have 1 piggy inside and piggy and rabbits outside, does that make you feel any better?! :D
You know you want him really :lol:

Well we have the guinea pig - he is a teddy bear guinea pig he has hair just lke an old tedy bear, but we will only be fostering him. Thumper is being very protective of me following me absolutely everywhere!!! Plus other half is very against keping him! The guinea was called shoebeck (the egyptian god of water apparently!) but because he feels like an afro wig we have called him Lionel (after Lionel Richie). He is extremelly tame but at the moment he is sitting in his hutch in a corner - they didnt put any hay in for him so i put loads in and now i cant see him as he is hiding. Thought it best to leave him be tonight dont want to scare him after his move. So if anybody is interested in having him join you I know he would make a lovely pet!

Oh we have a teddy bear :love: They are soooooooo gorgeous.
How big is his hutch, could try and make room for him without other half knowing lol
Any pics?

here he is - Lionel he is extremelly shy but he is a beauty!!
Lionel1-1.jpg
and

lionel2.jpg

his hutch measures 4ft long and then from roof to bottom of legs its just under 2ft high

Back