• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent teeth problem

My rabbits teeth are overgrown which I only just noticed a day ago because I thought it was normal.. its impossible to get him to a vet before the weekend so I need serious help. Since he's almost unable to eat himself is there something I can feed him that doesn't require him to use his front teeth. Please help.. I'm really concerned..

You need to get in to a vet some way before the weekend ....
If he's not able to eat he'll die, how long is it since hes eaten anything ?

If your bunny isn't eating, due to teeth problems, he really needs to see a vet now :(

If he doesn't eat, his gut will slow down, and lead to all sorts of problems - I'm not meaning to scare you, but this can't wait till the weekend - his teeth will be making him feel uncomfortable :(

You need to get him to a vet, its only Thursday, if i phoned my vet with the same situation as yours they would fit me in today, no matter what.

It is unhealthy for a rabbit to go even a few hours without food, wait til Monday and he will have developed full blown stasis and may even be dead.

On top of that he may have mouth ulcers and lacerations making it painful even to drink, has he lost weight?

I agree, you need to get to a vet as soon as possible.
In the mean time you could try grating up some vegetables or soaking some pellets like Excell or science selectives in water so they go mushy. If you think he won't be too distressed you could try syringing some baby food (vegetarian!) into his mouth.

Hello

Unfortunately Rabbits cant 'wait a few days to see the Vet' if they are unable to eat. This is because a rabbit should always have food passing through their digestive tract to keep it functioning. If the guts stop working fat starts to accumulate in the Liver which causes fatal Liver failure :cry:
So as the others have said you do need to find a way to get your Rabbit seen by a Vet today.

Janex

Thanks. I will try to bring him tomorrow.. in the meantime is there anything I could feed him like a liquid type of food? He tries to eat and he can eat little bits but I don't think its enough for tonight :?

you can try syringe feeding with mushed up pellets or some organic vegetable baby food (without any onions in) but he must see a vet as soon as possible. I would class this as an emergency case.

Most recovery foods are only available at this short notice via a vets unless you already have it in stock (I buy mine online).

So as recommended earlier - mash up some of the pellets they are eating (if they are on pellets) with water to create a mush that can be syringed in or try veggie baby food.

My vets are open until 6pm - my old vets used to be open til 7pm - have you tried ringing them?

Caz

He did find a way to eat a little.. I'm really happy that a vets able to help him tonight. Its just so weird because I never noticed that his teeth were long.. anyways thanks so much for all the advice.. I hope tonight won't be too painful for him..

Just feed him w/ non-meat contents baby foods 6 x 6 ml per day. Heniz brand Corn, sweet potato, carrot etc. will do.

If your vet put her under, cut and trim down the teeth, by the time the surgery is done, she won't eat for at least 12 hr., she would still needed to be on baby food anyway

Back