• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sumi doing ok, Nell is sick U/D opinions requested

Fionabun

Mama Doe
My poor wee man had another dental today. :cry: :cry:

He went off his food on Monday night and developed gas. He is in a right huff with me. With TLC and meds, he ate a little yesterday but went straight back downhill again overnight so away he went to see the vet again this morning.

He had spikes and a lesion on his cheek which were not visible using the scope. His last dental was only on the 5th January. He has barely managed 4 weeks in between them and that's with tons of hay munching. :cry: :cry:

My poor boy, I hope he can manage a bit longer next time.

I am picking him up at 4pm.

Fiona x

Hi there. He is my only bunny not to have been xrayed.

My bunnies, all from the same family, all have dental problems. No root elongation was present on the others. Suppose its stupid to presume that his is fine too, will have to do it if it proves to be another 4 weeks in between dentals. We have presumed that a degree of malocclusion is the problem.

I will have him xrayed if he continues to need help every 4 weeks.

Fiona x

Hi there. Sumi ate some hay almost right away when he came home. Bless him he was thrilled to see the other bunnies. :love:

He has eaten a few treats, more hay and pellets so I'm hoping he snuggles up good and proper tonight and keeps munching. Really hope he's ok. Just going out to add more blankets and snugglesafes.

They are all seem a bit strange at the moment, hopefully its the weather

Fiona x

good news eating at last..
BIfs having one tomorrow if we dont wake up snowed in! :lol:
And shes having xrays and bloods taken whilst shes out..so itll be bio lapis..recovery slop plus baby food! And worrying like mad!

sadly my old doe was like that..its heart breaking...every 4 weeks for dentals..
speedy recovery..and best of luck sorting it out.

Well, Sumi is doing well after his dental, completely independent eating and drinking. Brilliant. However, my worst nightmare has happened: early this morning I found Nell off her food and full of gas :cry: :cry: She is in a bad way.

When Sumi went to the vet yesterday, I also got Nell's teeth checked. It has only been 3 weeks since her last dental. She possibly had some sharper edges forming though this has been the norm for her teeth. Her last xrays showed no root problems or other complications. Unfortunately she has had so many dentals, she's only 3 years old (4 in June). She's quite frail now.

I've given her lots of TLC, Infacol, Prepulsid, Tummy rubs and pain relief.

Will need to say what the vet says. Poor girl.

Fiona x

Oh dear Fiona it is one endless battle for you and your Buns isn't it :cry:

I wonder if Nell's gassy tummy is a result of stress from the trip to the Vets rather than from a sore mouth :? I know it is perfectly possible for spurs to form in 3 weeks but MAYBE Nell is just showing stress from the journey to and from the Vets.

I hope that she will feel better later this morning. It really is emotionally draining having to witness Bunnies with recurring Dental problems.
Please keep us updated today

Janex

Thanks all. Stress did cross my mind although she is usually brilliant after vet trips.

Can't stop crying for her. Its so draining. I'm not sure what to do now. I need to go to work for a bit but will get back to see her.
Fiona x

Well just thought I would update you.

Nell doesn't seem to have as sore a belly as she did earlier. I have been worried sick about her (literally) though when I arrived home she ate a handful of grass, a treat and some plantain leaf from me.

I am seeing the vet tomorrow morning and am just hoping that she keeps up her eating.

Bunnies with dental problems seem to be a bit controversial but I just wanted to let you know how she was doing because I appreciate the help I get on here. I love her so much and don't want to discuss my thoughts on her future too much, though would appreciate some opinions on what you would do if your bunny required dentals as regularly as every 3 weeks. She is such a stressed bunny that I cannot put her through a dental without GA, plus there is no one locally who does it wihtout GA anyway.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Fionabun said:
Well just thought I would update you.

Nell doesn't seem to have as sore a belly as she did earlier. I have been worried sick about her (literally) though when I arrived home she ate a handful of grass, a treat and some plantain leaf from me.

I am seeing the vet tomorrow morning and am just hoping that she keeps up her eating.

Bunnies with dental problems seem to be a bit controversial but I just wanted to let you know how she was doing because I appreciate the help I get on here. I love her so much and don't want to discuss my thoughts on her future too much, though would appreciate some opinions on what you would do if your bunny required dentals as regularly as every 3 weeks. She is such a stressed bunny that I cannot put her through a dental without GA, plus there is no one locally who does it wihtout GA anyway.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I have PM'd you :)

Janex

Fionabun said:
Thanks. Its so difficult. Haven't felt so depressed for such a long time.

Fiona x

It is totally emotionally draining coping with Buns who have chronic problems. Just when we THINK we are on top of the situation it goes wrong again :cry: You are doing everything possible for Nell and your other Buns. You WILL know when Nell has had enough as she is your Bunny. NO-ONE has any right what-so-ever to tell you what you should do. As I have already said in my PM, you have my complete support.

Janex

Thanks again. The thing is that I am supposed to have a new bunny arriving on Saturday in the hope that he will be Clover's friend and haven't had much of a chance to be excited about him arriving. I might need to delay his arrival.

And I've also had a brill new bunny shed built in my garden in the hope that Clover and my new wee man can live there when they are bonded. It looks great but haven't had a chance to do much with it yet. That would mean that Clover could move out of my walk-in hutch/run combo which is split in half at the moment and that would open up the whole 14ft run to Nell, Sumi and Marcy.

I so hope my little buns can ALL have the joy of the 14ft run...they would absolutely love it and being as they are trying to chew their way through to it every night, they would feel like they had made it all by themselves!!!! My hope was to bond Clover with my other three but I'm so scared about causing stress to them and bringing on stasis...god knows they get enough of that without me adding to it. And anyway, an excuse to acquire myself another little friend.

Oh dear, hope that better times await. Thank you for the support.

Poor wee bunnies, so much stress but worth it (sometimes)

Fiona x

Back