• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are people reading Rabbit Care Discussion?

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hi there. I was just wondering whether people aren't reading this discussion board as much as others?I always remembered this discussion board being a very very busy one and now, all bar a few posts here and there, there haven't been the usual huge number of replies to people with very genuine concerns and sick bunnies.

I have been very pleased with the help I got on early on in my recent posts so I am definitely not complaining personally. Its just that it concerns me that there are people whose bunnies are sick or need more urgent advice and they haven't had as much. I am relatively inexperienced overall (despite a run of several very ill little bunsters) so I don't even know what to say to a lot of the posts.

Am I missing something or is it just one of thsoe things?

Fiona x

Um I dont know :? This is the first page I go to, and I try to reply to as many as I can, or if I can help.

Maby it depends on what questions are being asked.
If they are the usual question them maby people get fed up posting :?

Depends if people think they are giving the wrong advice they will get shot down in flame for it.

I dont really have an answer but I'll try my best to hekp anyone on here looking for help. :D

I always use the 'view posts since last visit' option, that way there is less chance of missing something :wink: however if I've not been on for a few days there can be pages to read through :shock: :roll:

tupperwarequeen said:
I always use the 'view posts since last visit' option, that way there is less chance of missing something :wink: however if I've not been on for a few days there can be pages to read through :shock: :roll:

Where is that option?
Something else I've missed :lol:

nicole said:
tupperwarequeen said:

Where is that option?

when you first log in, the page with all the topics listed, on the top at the right hand side, there are 3 options,
1 view posts since last visit
2 view your own posts or
3 view any posts which havent been answered

I find it the easiest way to keep up to date
:wink: :wink: :wink:

tupperwarequeen said:
nicole said:
tupperwarequeen said:

Where is that option?

when you first log in, the page with all the topics listed, on the top at the right hand side, there are 3 options,
1 view posts since last visit
2 view your own posts or
3 view any posts which havent been answered

I find it the easiest way to keep up to date
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Ah thanks for the tip :)

just realised the proper name is the index page :oops:

btw view your own posts is useful if you replied to a post but then can't remember which one it was when you want to check on it later :wink: or is that just me it happens to :oops: :roll: :oops: :shock:

This is the first page I come to as well. I only read the other sections if I have time and I do enjoy them very much too.

Some responses to questions about GI stasis for example get lots of responses and I have been very lucky, others don't get as much. Hope new users know about the search option so that they can check out similar posts if they don't get a response.

I try too, but beyond GI stasis I know very little. :?

It concerns me that a new user might stumble across a forum like this when they need help. I hope they can find it here like I have done.

I think we have to be absolutely sure that we are giving care advice to posts by newer members too.

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
This is the first page I come to as well. I only read the other sections if I have time and I do enjoy them very much too.

Some responses to questions about GI stasis for example get lots of responses and I have been very lucky, others don't get as much. Hope new users know about the search option so that they can check out similar posts if they don't get a response.

I try too, but beyond GI stasis I know very little. :?

It concerns me that a new user might stumble across a forum like this when they need help. I hope they can find it here like I have done.

I think we have to be absolutely sure that we are giving care advice to posts by newer members too.

Fiona x

:thumb: :thumb:

please dont think I am dismissing your concerns BUT

to be fair there are a lot of pages in the reference section, and lots of factual websites out there, people shouldn't really sit at the end of a computer hoping that someone will be able to answer their problems, I know its really useful, but if you look through a lot of the posts ask similar things, so sometimes regular posters can get a bit 'tired' of answering the same questions. If someone has an urgent concern they should be calling their vet, not waiting for advice from a forum :wink:

This subject comes up every so often :wink:

tupperwarequeen said:
please dont think I am dismissing your concerns BUT

to be fair there are a lot of pages in the reference section, and lots of factual websites out there, people shouldn't really sit at the end of a computer hoping that someone will be able to answer their problems, I know its really useful, but if you look through a lot of the posts ask similar things, so sometimes regular posters can get a bit 'tired' of answering the same questions. If someone has an urgent concern they should be calling their vet, not waiting for advice from a forum :wink:

This subject comes up every so often :wink:

Don't worry I don't think you are dismissing my concerns :wink:

However there have been times that I have sat in front of this forum awaiting any reply, any at all to give me more care advice or moral support, even after a vet's visit. I'm sure many have. It might not be right but its what many of us have done. My experience is that vets don't often tell people about Infacol and tummy rubs and best methods for syringe feeding techniques, papaya tablets etc. My vet is excellent but I have also taught him a thing or two from this place. I know that others will have different experiences but that is mine.

I totally agree that people shouldn't wait on replies here before consulting a vet. There are brilliant internet sites when you have a sick bunny though I have only found them through links people have given me on here. The internet is too vast when you have a sick bunny and need a bit of extra help and are panicking.

Anyway, hope this thread doesn't detract from posting care advice to others. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something and to make sure that we are helping to advise new members. They won't come back if they don't get the support that we have all had.

Fionabun said:
Anyway, hope this thread doesn't detract from posting care advice to others. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something and to make sure that we are helping to advise new members. They won't come back if they don't get the support that we have all had.

I completely agree...I don't reply to too many because I don't have that much knowledge really, often a 'sorry bun is poorly' is all I can manage :oops:

tupperwarequeen said:
I completely agree...I don't reply to too many because I don't have that much knowledge really, often a 'sorry bun is poorly' is all I can manage :oops:

Me too! But do you know what? ...when my buns have been sick and I have felt the lowest of low that little sentence meant a great deal to me! :cry: :lol:

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
tupperwarequeen said:

Me too! But do you know what? ...when my buns have been sick and I have felt the lowest of low that little sentence meant a great deal to me! :cry: :lol:

Fiona x

ahh thats so true :D

Hmmm yeah but surely if we know we'v posted advice in a similar topic, we could answer with a link to that topic. I've done it when people have posted about myxi since Harly had it, replied sayin tht I got a lot of good advice in my posting and put the link to it........cuz it's a lot easier to find your own post than use the search facility. It took me ages on here to suss tht thr was a search facility, and thn whn you do u get loads of irrelevant posts to sift through as well, I was once looking for something and gave up aftr Id been through 150 posts tht were of no help.

I too have had times where I have been sat at home desperatly wishing for jst a few words of advice, support or encouragment. This has always been this forum's strongest point. While it was down I joined another and the advice I recieved was spartan to say the least, I was so glad when RU came back up!

I think some of the less urgent questions end up in Rabbit Chat, perhaps that makes this section a bit quieter?

Sometimes it's just people don't know the answer. I guess it depends what experience you've had. I wouldn't be that confident answering questions on gut stasis.

I think people need to come up the wood work and share their experience. You don't have to have loads, if you've gone through something similar with your bun then feel free to share :)

I agree - when Lenny was doing his dying bunny impression I panicked and the vet told me he had overeaten and I didn't think bunnys could so spent the night worrying, turned out he had and rabbits could! :roll: My experience is limited but like others have said just a word of support and encouragement can make the whole situation that little bit easier to cope with.

Rabbit Care Discussion is the main section I use. Lots of useful little tips. I try to help when I can, but dont think I know as much as others. Maybe I should just post something - even if I dont think I can help much.

Back