• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after neutering

daisylou

Warren Scout
Hi, my Bluebelle went to vet to be neutered on Friday. She was getting it done in the town my sister lives in as it was £50 compared to £100 where I stay. Plus I have not been overly happy with my vets with my buns this year and my sister really likes her vet. Anyway, she came back to my sister's and seemed to be ok. My sister kept her seperated from Bojangles to see that she was doing fine. On Saturday morning she noticed that although she had pee'd she hadn't eaten or pooed. She called the vet and they told her to take Bluebelle in. She has now been in the emergency vet for the whole weekend and still hadn't eaten anything other than newspaper by lunchtime yesterday.

They are quite fussy eaters, don't really like very much, spring greens sometimes some carrot, very occasionally a bit apple. She nibbles on straw but not much and dried food.

I thought they were going to give her something to get her gut moving as they said it wasn't doing anything therefore she woldn't feel the need to eat.

I am worried cos I have lost 2 girls this year already and couldn't bare for Bo and I to lost another one.

I keep thinking that I shouldn't have put her through this.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what may be good to get her eating?

Thanks

Do you know if the Vet has now administered a gut motility stimulant (Metoclopromide) and some more pain relief (Metacam) ?
If not I'd demand to know WHY!!
Are they syringe feeding her a liquid feed like Critical Care? Again if not WHY NOT
If she is not drinking she will need sub-cutaneous or intra-venous fluids. This is particularly important as her kidneys will need supporting, especially as she is (hopefully) having Metacam.

Dandlion leaves, grated apple+carrot, very finely sliced very dark spring greens, Romaine Lettuce, grass, are all good to tempt a Bunny to eat.

Hope that you hear some good news about her today.
BTW, does she never eat hay? If not did the Vet check her teeth whilst she was under GA? Hay is an essential part of a Bunny's diet to ensure healthy dentition and gut motility

Janex

Thanks Jane

They are very fussy about their hay. I have tried so many different varieties that they like for one day and then don't touch again. They seem happier to nibble on straw - maybe I should not give them the option and just have hay for them from now on.

I think she is drinking fine and my sister said she looked like her normal bouncy self when she saw her yesterday.

When Bo was put in with her yesterday she started grooming him immediately and the vet said that was good.

I am not sure what medication she has been given. My sister did say they were going to give her something to stimulate her gut. It is difficult as she is not at my own vet's and my sister is relaying back and forward.

Hopefully there will be more dialogue today when she is moved from emergency vet to sister's normal vet.

I just feel so helpless and guilty that she is so far away from me.

Will make those food suggestions.

Thanks again.

Very glad to hear it. They always stop eating after the 1st 24 hr. Which is why you have to give them their favorite treats especially in the first few days. As they don't eat much except treats.

Consider it as a post surgery gift to the bunny.

Glad to hear good news :D Pippa stopped eating and ate very little after that for a few days, it was a good week to ten days before she seemed to be 'back to normal'

I bet you can't wait to get her home.

Back