• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Megazorb safe? Its a bit DUSTY!

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Hello, I use megazorb for my 2 rabbits and 3 guinea pigs, however i find it to be very dusty and was worried that this might be dangerous for their lungs. Can anyone advise as to if this is the case and if there are any alternatives. I dont want to go back to wood shavings as i heard bad things about the phenols in it and that it can lead to liver damage. For the past week i have been using hay and newspaper, however i am allergic to the hay so this can no longer be used. Any help is greatly appreciated, i need a completely safe bedding for my buns!

Hey there,

I'm not sure how many buns you have but i use Carefresh which is fantastic. Its not dusty at all and is really abosrbent.

The only downside is, is that a normal size bag is about £3.25 from pets at home. It does last my two a couple of weeks though.

Hope this helps x

Megazorb so I'm told is actually a by product of making paper.

It is almost identical to carefresh, but far more cost effective as you get 13kg (85L) in a sack that costs about the same as 2 packs of carefesh.

I would have to day that it is far safer to use than wood shavings or saw dust.

The only other product we use is a paper bed bale (the offcuts of tea bags) this does cost £18 per bale but does go a lot further than megazorb.

At the end of the day its your choice, but the amount of ppl that use and recommend Megazorb here, in the GP communitys and the rat communitys is huge so all in all I think that speaks for its self.

On a personal note we have a pallet delivered every 2 weeks on average (60 bags at a time) and it just fly's out of the door.

We use the wood cat litter pellets which are not too bad. Wilkinson's do a 15litre bag for £3.99 and it lasts a couple of weeks - we have four bunnies. I think Sainsbury's have the wood pellets too but they are expansive there.

I was thinking of trying megazorb though.

Thanks for your advice, whats the off cut of tea bags product called and where can i get it? i might just continue to use the ole megazorb.

I use megazorb as it's economical and the bunnies seem to like it. I always out a layer of hay on the top for them to munch on as they're doing their business.

oscarbunny said:
For the past week i have been using hay and newspaper, however i am allergic to the hay so this can no longer be used. Any help is greatly appreciated, i need a completely safe bedding for my buns!

Are you not giving your bunnies hay?? Maybe I have misread this!! Bunnies need loads of hay :wink:

I learn so much from this forum - what's wrong with sawdust? I use sawdust and it's never occurred to me that there may be a problem! Why is it bad? What phenols?

Lucy

CrazyBun said:
I learn so much from this forum - what's wrong with sawdust? I use sawdust and it's never occurred to me that there may be a problem! Why is it bad? What phenols?

Lucy

I heard sawdust can cause liver problems. I dont use it now. I use shredded newspaper and hay. My bunny seems happy with that.

its called a paper bed bale.

I think most pet shops can get it for you.

we should have them back in stock soon.

I use megazorb, and just put a layer of newspaper on top so it doesn't get kicked around. I don't find it dusty, but is is a different texture to other products.

I find it is much more economical, absorbent and reduces odour much more than any other product I've tried (bob martins paper litter was good, but doesn't last for more than a few days, so not very economical).

No i still use hay! my buns/guineas get fresh hay everyday i just dont put it in myself, get my boyfriend to do it as it makes my throat/eyes/nose bad. I used to use hay as a bedding.... lots of it with newspaper, thats no longer an option as i usually clean the cages out - however my buns will ALWAYS get fresh hay! :)

oscarbunny said:
No i still use hay! my buns/guineas get fresh hay everyday i just dont put it in myself, get my boyfriend to do it as it makes my throat/eyes/nose bad. I used to use hay as a bedding.... lots of it with newspaper, thats no longer an option as i usually clean the cages out - however my buns will ALWAYS get fresh hay! :)

I guessed you meant you just didnt use tons of it for bedding, but just had to check!!!! :lol: :lol:

Bunnybasics said:
Megazorb so I'm told is actually a by product of making paper.

It is almost identical to carefresh, but far more cost effective as you get 13kg (85L) in a sack that costs about the same as 2 packs of carefesh.

I would have to day that it is far safer to use than wood shavings or saw dust.

The only other product we use is a paper bed bale (the offcuts of tea bags) this does cost £18 per bale but does go a lot further than megazorb.

At the end of the day its your choice, but the amount of ppl that use and recommend Megazorb here, in the GP communitys and the rat communitys is huge so all in all I think that speaks for its self.

On a personal note we have a pallet delivered every 2 weeks on average (60 bags at a time) and it just fly's out of the door.

carefresh is wood pulp

Wow - I have been putting woodshavings out for my rabbits for YEARS. Won't any more though - I'm glad you started this thread

Lucy

Ecobed is a great alternative if you can get hold of it. Its made from chopped pieces of cardboard. I found out of all the beddings I had tried the Ecobed was the best and cleanest. I am still using megazorb but do use Ecobed when I have time to drive out to the haulage yard to pick it up. Megazorb is far better than shavings. It does vary a lot with different batches, some are a lot dustier than others but the dust usually settles quickly anyway :thumb:

I use megazorb and do find it dusty, but the bunnies and piggies get on well with it. I don't use it for mice though - I use paper cat litter instead. Ideally I'd use paper cat litter for everyone, but I'd be bankrupt!

Back