• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what is she doing?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
when I was checking Scarlett this morning she was doing something I have never seen my other bunnies do. She was holding in her mouth as much straw as she could and walking around her hutch with it. And I mean like loads of straw.

Does anyone know what she is doing?

Thanks

:shock:

ok I am trying to get hold of the girl I got her from :shock:

I called my mum to come see what she was doing and she said she had been doing it all day yesterday.

she is only young! They told me 10 weeks old. but the guy admitted that when he got her from the pet shop he didnt sound to sure about the age and sex

sillyrabbit said:
:shock:

ok I am trying to get hold of the girl I got her from :shock:

I called my mum to come see what she was doing and she said she had been doing it all day yesterday.

she is only young! They told me 10 weeks old. but the guy admitted that when he got her from the pet shop he didnt sound to sure about the age and sex

well if tommorrow she starts adding fur you have probably got more bunnies on the way :shock: , unless you have a male somewhere near her?and its a hormonal nest :shock:

She has seen Trip once. He ran past the run while she was in there when I called him into the house. But he was neutered ages ago.

How young can they start making hormonal nests?

How young can they become pregnant?

sillyrabbit said:
She has seen Trip once. He ran past the run while she was in there when I called him into the house. But he was neutered ages ago.

How young can they start making hormonal nests?

How young can they become pregnant?

well it could be the smell of him on your clothes and her hormones are coming though making her have a phantom pregnancy or she is pregnant just a case of waiting and seeing, lets hope its not the later!

girls can become pregnat quite early around 14 week i would think but some will take earlier or later!

I hope she isnt, she is so young herself :(

Is there anything I should do incase she is? Like do I need to bring her inside or anything?

yep I would definately say nest building, but I wouldnt go into automatic panic if she starts adding fur - Mine built a few nests with fur, before I got her done at 8 months.

yep I would definately say nest building, but I wouldnt go into automatic panic if she starts adding fur - Mine built a few nests with fur, before I got her done at 8 months

Thanks, that has calmed me down a bit :D

Pregnant rabbits tend to nest build at the last minute so you only need to worry if she's over 16 weeks now (so she was old enough to conceve 4 weeks ago) and was with a male at the time.

Hopefully it's just a phantom :)

My rabbit constantly built nests before she was spayed and sat there looking hopeful that some babies would appear :( Fingers crossed that's what yours is doing

Was she kept with males before you got her?

I dont know if she was with males. I got her from someone who didnt want her. But she was only with them a few days.

I know she wasnt with any other rabbits there, but the guy who got her from a pet shop said she was sold to him by young saturday staff.

And when he asked about her age and sex he said they were really unsure. When he asked which ones in the cage were female they didnt know and had to check so I assume they had both in there?!

She will have been here with me 2 weeks tomorrow.

What if she is pregnant, will she look after them like an older bunny would. It cant be good for young bunnys to have babies :(

If you think in the wild young rabbits would have babies as soon as they could do I wouldn't worry about her too much, I guess she might not know what to do with the babies as I would guess in the wild they copy the other buns.

Hopefully it's a false alarm, you should know within a few days. When Pippa was nest building she built a fresh one every time I cleaned her cage out, but I think with real ones they build just before they give birth.

My Patchy used to build nest when she was litle and not spayed. She'd not been near any buck either. It's something she stopped doing when she was spayed.

Back