• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and heated sheds.

Cavyslave

Alpha Buck
Just a quick question.

With the onset of winter looming and the colder times I am wondering what would be best for the bunnies.

Currently they are in the new shed, this I will be heating for the benefit of the piggies and myself :D . Pigs need the warmth.

I am wondering if it will be ok for the bunnies too ?? or would it be better to move them into the summer house for the winter which wont be heated.

Is it more natural for the bunnies to go through the winter without heated accomodation ? due to the way their coats grow etc.

Dont get me wrong it will still be nice and cosy in the summer house as it is well insulated as it was the piggies first home. So they are not going to freeze or anything, and will be sheltered from the worst of the weather etc.

What do you think ??? summerhouse -no heating.. or stay where they are in the shed and be nice and warm ? which do you think would be best. ????

thanks

Deb x

It doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent - plenty of people have houserabbits, and most houses are heated all winter so I don't see that it would be much different to that really. It's sudden changes in temperature which is bad for them; they will just moult to suit the temperature (so if the shed is heated, they will have a thinner coat than if they are in the unheated summerhouse). I'd be inclined to leave them wherever they are now if they are happy and settled there.

I have heaters in my sheds in winter and the buns are fine, you just have to makesure you don't have it to warm, just enough to take the chill off.

Back