• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

going to the vets and carriers

bexn2kids

Warren Scout
hey all am taking thumps to the vets tomorrow for the first time, i had to cancel mondays appointment as one of my children were ill and tomorrow my partner iis home to look after the kids so i can take thumps but we dont have a car so i will have to take thumper on the bus, the bus journey is about 10 mins then a 5 min walk after i get off the bus. I dont want to stress thumper out to much so any ideas on things i can put in the carrier to help. I was thinking about maybe puting some veg in there and a blanket to help what do you think ?? when he came to me a month ago he was so scared when i got him out the carrier bless him. Also being this is my first time at the vets what do they do ?? would they get thumper out of his carrier or would that be up to me ?? i have booked him in for a general check over what happens in this ?? and also to get his nails clipped. I also asked them to check the sex as am not overal sure he is a male. thanks for the help and advice and if you have any more info please feel free to tell me take care luv becks xx

Don't know whether it's the same with all vets but at mine, they often do the following:

Weight them
Prod them around a bit (well I think they just feel their tummy etc to check everything's ok)
Listen to their heart
Check their teeth (back and front)
Check nails
Ask some questions like how they've been, what you feed them etc.

Usually I get the rabbit out of the carrier, but I think either can do it just depends!

Normally when they are having their teeth checked they ask me to hold the rabbit still

As for the journey I'm not too sure, my rabbits are always a bit scared of the vets and the car, but they settle down quickly once they are back with the familiarity of home.

Hope I've help you a bit?

Hannah

Hi, good luck on Saturday.

I have a top opening carrier, which I find much easier for getting them out of.
I usually put newspaper and some hay in there for them, and a bowl of greens, although none of them ever eat them. It's nice to know they have the choice.
I always take them out of the carrier, and I usually hold them the whole time they're on the table. I htink this reassures them. Obviously if the vet needs to weigh them, or check tummies I move out of the way!
Make sure you get ears, teeth checked, chest listened to.
Hope it goes well.

I was reading up some information on a pet transport website and they said that one of the things that helps reduce stress is if the animals can't see out of their carrier - that way they don't see things moving past whilst travelling which can cause motion sickness and also they can't see all the unfamiliar sights. So maybe if you put a blanket or something over your carrier it might help? It would also reduce noise.

We have to take ours on a short bus ride. and they just hide themselves at the back of the carrier. :) They are normally alright going there, but look really stress out when coming back.

My vet told me NOT to put HAY in the carrier as if the car/bus stops suddenly or bunny gets jolted about it can cause eye injuries.

I put a blanket in the carrier (I don't bother with food because when they're stressed they won't eat anyway).

I have trouble getting them out of the carrier because they stick their legs out (my boyfriend seema to manage OK though).

thanks for all your lovely replies , am abit worried about geting thumps out of the carrier as he istant to keen on being held, he is geting better but we are still not quiet there yet , my friend has 6 rabbits so she held thumps for me the other day and she thinks he has never been held before he came to me as he was frightened. he loves me feeding him his veg and giving him nose rubs and he will jump on my lap for a cuddle when he wants. Do you think he will be ok ?/

Probably a bit late for this week, but if it's going to be a usual thing to take him to the vets on the bus/walking, it might be worth investing in a pet carrier on wheels - a bit like a covered over pushchair. I should imagine a 5 minute walk will not only be heavy for you, but probably not very comfortable for him and he may feel safer and with less motion if he is being pushed along.

Mine definitely don't like it, but they forgive me fairly quickly when we get home, so hopefully Thumps will too :D

Back