• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A cautionary tale....

Rushie

Banned
I came home from shopping on Tuesday to find a pool of blood on the path in the garden. I didn't know whether it was from my rabbit Sooty or from one of the cats.

Sooty had gone in the hutch and when she moved there was more blood. I rushed her to the vets and, to cut a long story short, she had to have an emergency spay following another large bleed whilst kept overnight at the vets.

The vet informed me that her uterus had been bleeding although they didn't know why. There were no tumours present.

I'd never had her spayed, she is 4 years old, not due to the money but because I was so worried as it is a big operation.

I now realise that it is absolutely imperative to get does spayed and I had my other doe spayed also on Friday (she is 1 year old)

They are both recovering well and I wish I had had them done sooner. I would hate for anyone to have to go through what I did with Sooty. If I had lost her I would never have forgiven myself.

Nursing them has been no problem at all. They were both drowsy for the first 24 hours but they have both got back to normal so quickly.

Please, anyone that is unsure about whether to get their rabbit spayed, just go ahead and book their appointment. I knew the risks, had read the statistics, but I still didn't act until I was pushed into it.

Kate

It's such a hard decision, isn't it? :(

Glad your babies are doing well now, I hope they make a great recovery. xxx

Like humans, it is variable some will be visibly gone with about 5 days others particuarly the knots will still be there 2 weeks later.

Harly had 'disolving' stitches in a cut on his head and they didn't disolve, after 2 weeks took him back to vet and had them removed. The ones they got in when they were castrated did tho, and they were done at the same time. I'd jst keep an eye on them and if your not happy with how long they'r there, phone the vet.

I have a female rabbit, which is not spayed! I have thought about getting her done but i decided not too. I lost my male rabbit under anespethic (sorry bad spelling). I didnt want to put her under any strain as she is a nervous rabbit and id be scared she wouldnt make it through!!!

I can well understand why you wouldn't want your rabbit to be spayed after losing your male. It is, of course, your choice although it would be very very unlucky were your girl to also have a bad reaction to the anaesthetic.

Kate

I've booked my Poppy in for a spay next Wednesday and I am worried about it, I must say, but after reading your story I know it has to be done. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks minilops :D

I know there are always risks with any operation but to see Sooty the way she was that day, was heartbreaking.

I just wish I had had her spayed earlier.

Kate

Back