• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bad reaction to VHD jab

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Skip wasn't to happy last time he had the jab and the same thing has happened now.
He has the jab yesterday and was fine yesterday, ate his dinner.
He hasn't eaten his breakfast and staying hutched in his cage all day. He has eaten a bit of hay and a carrot.
I haven't seen him drink anything.

I just went to stroke him and he has a biggish lump where the jab was given :cry: :cry:

Should i take him back to the vets 2morrow if he hasn't perked up? what could they do for him?

I remember last time i had to force feed him hay and squirt pineapple juice in his mouth, arrrrrrrrgg i have some rescue rememdy would this help and how much?

Don't know what to do !

Pippa had a big scab where the injection was done and was off colour for a day, but was ok after that. I wouldn't worry too much about the injection site unless it gets infected but if he wasn't perked up by tomorrow you can't lose anything by ringing for advice.

ps only had a bun for about 6 weeks so I'm no expert! I'm sure more experienced advice will be along soon

Oh no sorry to hear Skip is not too good.
Sorry can,t help you.Mine go in for their VHD on Wednesday :?

hi..i dont know about my rescue bun as she was jabbed when i got her..but all 3 of my buns along the line have had a horrific reaction to this jab..and the myxi one too..my advice is you must seek vet appointment..explain whats happened..
our vets give an antiinflammatory to help..and now oscar has it the same time as his jabs..
vets keep telling me its very unusual but i keep finding more andmore folks whose buns have terrible reactions..

dont get fobbed off..it does happen..

I hope he's feeling better. Bram is off for her next jab in a couple of weeks, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her.

He's not much better today, not been out of his cage and has eaten a bit of hay and a carrot!! (i would be very worried if he didn't eat a treat :lol: )

But not drunk any water really which is a concern, i am taking him to the vets this afternoon to have him checked i hope he will be ok.
Taking him to the vets stresses him out too :(

bailey and gizzy were exactly the same last year after their vhd jab . I took them back to the vets the next day and the vet gave them a dose of something- don,t know what it was but within a few hours they were right as rain again . Bailey did take a very big nasty sore scab and it was a big lump as well but gizzy seemed fine . They are due to get the vhd booster next month again so i,ll be keeping a close eye on them . If I were you i,d take him to get a checkover but i,m sure he,ll be fine .

gina PLEASE mention to the vet what happened previously and he will give the same wonder jab with the booster..its what we have to do!

i hope poor little bun is feeling better today..

purplebumble said:
gina PLEASE mention to the vet what happened previously and he will give the same wonder jab with the booster..its what we have to do!

i hope poor little bun is feeling better today..

its ok as its the same vet they are seeing and there ain,t no way they are getting the booster until I make sure they can get the same stuff that helped them last time .
Its scary tho as he was so so ill .

Back