• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What was your bun like after spaying?

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Pippa was spayed yesterday and I was wondering if what she's like is normal or if I need to start worrying.

She's extremely quiet and not moving much. She hadn't ate anything overnight so I grated some fresh carrot for her and she has eaten that. She's had a sip of water but not much. She's wee'd and there's only 2 poops in her tray.

Is this ok? She seems very withdrawn but remembering how I felt after a Caesarian I totally sympathise. The vet said she'd had pain killers and a gut mobility drug and they should be enough but obviously to contact if I was worried.

Tempt her to eat with all her favourite foods. All buns are different after ops as you know but she is probably just a little sore. I wouldn't worry at this stage as long as you can get her to eat. As regards drinking most veg contains water so she will be getting some fluids that way, but you could always try syringing water into her mouth if you are worried.
She'll be fine honest :D
Good luck and give her a snuggle from me.

When I had Daisy spayed, she was very quiet for a good couple of days, she didn't really eat much at all either. I did end up taking her back as she seemed in pain still the following evening, but she picked up slowly after that. If you are at all worried, I would just give your vet a ring. Hope she starts to feel better soon.

I wouldn't worry too much just yet. She sounds just like my two were after theirs last week. I tempted them with fresh veg and hay, it took a few days for them to get back to eating their normal amount of dry food and their dialy rich tea biscuits! However they are both absolutely fine now and are going back outisde to their boyfriend later today :D

Hey,

We had little Smudge done 2 weeks ago and she was exactly the same. Within a week however she was back to her old self as if nothing has happened.

Hope she recovers soon.

Nick.

Chloe was spayed yesterday too. She is still very quiet and has barely eaten although she has been drinking. She is spending most of her time sitting quietly but with occasional bursts of activity such as digging at the vetbed. I syringed her a little science recovery this morning and went into work late as I decided to take her back to the vets for some more metaclopromide and pain relief in the hope that this will help speed her recovery today. Most pain relief only lasts 24 hours and metaclop can be given every 8 hours I think so if she's not improving and eating on her own later today, I'd take her back and get some more, and ask for some to allow you to administer it over the weekend if you need to. Has she got water in a bowl? They do tend to prefer drinking from a bowl post-operatively as well.

Hope your little one feels much better soon!

Thanks, hope yours feels better soon too.

Today she's more normal, still quiet but eating and drinking and excited about her carrot this morning. Grated carrot and cucumber was great when she wouldn't eat as it got her eating again. She doesn't seem in pain anymore but is still withdrawn. She won't come out her cage, refuses to go in the carrier (who can blame her after what happened the last time she went in :lol: ) and I even took all the bars off the cage but she still won't come out. Physically she's ok though, thank goodness.

Back