• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites Treatment

Apache

Mama Doe
Do any of you treat against mites, as a preventative measure?

I bought some "spot on" earlier, and put it on the back of Alfred's neck, but it seemed to go all over the place, he was then trying to lick it off, I think most of it was out of reach, but was concerned it could be harmful if ingested.

I rang Bob Martin's and they said although some rabbit may take soem internally and it not be a problem, there had been cases of it causing a reaction, and if I was at all concerned I should wash it off.

So poor Alfred has just had a bath, and it not a happy bunny :(

I have tried to dry him off with the hair dryer, but he seems to hate it, so I've left him in my lounge as a precaution, although it is quite warm today it is still windy.

Jx

I got stung at the vets for some spot on, £12 for a months treatment for both my rabbits I was wondering if there is a cheaper way .

Well spot on is only £2.99 at P@Home...

Did you find it went all over the place? or are you better at applying it then me?

Jx

I opened up the fur and pressed down and pushed out. It left a sticky mark, but it stayed in the same area.

I dont think ill be buying from the vets no more. Not happy about the way they get the product , you go to reception and the bill comes through via the vet , ummmmm :?

Thanks Joe, by the way your rabbit looks like he (?) has got quite similar ones to Alfred!

And oddly enough the bun he is going to be bonded with on Thurs is a little black minature lop!

Jx

I dont think mines bob martins , i was to dumb struck at the price to notice the make.

Apache

My two are both female, one from a pet shop the other from a rescue centre. They have both bonded so well .

Many thanks Nicole for that, thank god I washed it off (not sure Alfred would agree at this moment in time though!).

I will look for some of the Beapher Spot on instead..

Joe - your rabbits are lovely, and you are very lucky then bonded so well :)

Jx

Thanx Nix, although I've just had a look at the details, and it is made up from essential oils, I am an aromatherapist, although I am qualified to treat horses only, I have been reading about using essential oils with small animals like rabbits, and what I've read tends to suggest using hydrosols rather than essential oils, as they can be too strong around rabbits, and the liver in smaller mammals isn't terribly good at breaking down "alien" substances.

Thanks again for posting the detials, are there any other ideas for mite prevention?

Jx

I tried Spot on before, but wasn't too good really. I went to the vets and they gave Charlie injections...one injection a week for 3 weeks. It cleared them up okay! :)

If your only needing a precaution against mites, a lot of people use listereen mouth wash, dont laugh it does work. Its very mild and very cheep a lot of americans swear by it. val

Thanks - it is a protection against that I'm wanting (well at the moment anyway!)

Val - listerine mouthwash? tell me more :)

Jx

Are there any other preventives? - I think my rabbit has mites again (got him booked in for vets later on), he had a course of 3 injections about 2 months ago which cleared it up, but it looks like they have come back as he has got scaly bits inside his ears again. The poor little thing hates going to the vets though (he can't stand being held, so I usually have to stroke him while they inject him to stop him jumping off the table - and hope he gets a vet he likes) so after they get rid of them this time a preventive maybe best and cheaper. The injections at my vets seem to be around £20 each time, which seems a bit excessive so something like this may help him not get them again (after probably more injections).

Back