• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sniffly bunny

Frankenstein was breathing really loudly when I went to feed him this morning and had nasty white mucus round his nose :( I have made him a vet appointment for 10.50 today (and made myself v unpopular at work as I was supposed to be doing tons today :twisted: ) I have separated him from my other bunny in case it is infectious and wiped away the white mucus, does anyone have any other advice? Im really worried, I never had a snuffly bunny before :( :(

You are definitely doing exactly the right thing by taking him to the vet straight away. I don't have any useful advice, sorry, but I am sure someone else will be along to help soon. Sending you lots of healing vibes for Frankenstein. Let us know how he gets on.

Poor bunny :cry: Definitely sounds like snuffles! Some vets still start with the antibiotic Baytril and it does work on occasion, although many vets now use Septrin and find that to be more effective. It does need to be a relatively long course of antibiotics, otherwise it will be leaving the more resistant bacteria behind.

If your bun is particularly snotty it's probably worth asking for some bisolvon powder as well, this thins the mucus so it is easier for your bun to breathe. I got some bisolvon for my snotty little one yesterday and her breathing is much easier this morning.

Don't know what others think, but I would be inclined to leave your bunnies together - one of the trigger factors for snuffles is stress, so changing the normal environment including a companion, can make it much worse. They all carry the bacteria naturally anyway so it's probably too late to do anything about it for the other one. Sometimes the other bun in a pair will also become snuffly, but often they don't. My other bun in the pair is absolutely fine he has never developed snuffles despite living with a snuffly girl since last November!

Good luck, let us know how you get on at the vets.

thanks Alison, in that case should I take my other bunny along to the vets as well for moral support?
He seems a bit better since I wiped away the thick mucus but there is still a watery discharge...and he has a jammy patch on his bum coz he sat on my toast whilst trying to stop me wiping his nose :lol:

happy_bunny said:
...and he has a jammy patch on his bum coz he sat on my toast whilst trying to stop me wiping his nose :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hiya - poor bun, and well done on getting a vet's appointment so quickly!

Just agreeing with Alison really in thinking it's probably not a good idea to separate the pair, especially as you're seeing the vet so soon (if he's going to catch something the extra couple of hours contact wont make much difference), as the separation will just add to his stress. My sister in law has a one snuffly bunster and his partner of many years has never caught it.

Also, it might be worth taking Frankensteins friend to the vet with him, just to help him feel less worried.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Wendy
xx

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was answering your question about whether to take both bunsters to the vet before you had posted it :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlisonA said:
Poor bunny :cry: Definitely sounds like snuffles! Some vets still start with the antibiotic Baytril and it does work on occasion, although many vets now use Septrin and find that to be more effective. It does need to be a relatively long course of antibiotics, otherwise it will be leaving the more resistant bacteria behind.

If your bun is particularly snotty it's probably worth asking for some bisolvon powder as well, this thins the mucus so it is easier for your bun to breathe. I got some bisolvon for my snotty little one yesterday and her breathing is much easier this morning.

Don't know what others think, but I would be inclined to leave your bunnies together - one of the trigger factors for snuffles is stress, so changing the normal environment including a companion, can make it much worse. They all carry the bacteria naturally anyway so it's probably too late to do anything about it for the other one. Sometimes the other bun in a pair will also become snuffly, but often they don't. My other bun in the pair is absolutely fine he has never developed snuffles despite living with a snuffly girl since last November!

Good luck, let us know how you get on at the vets.

Excellent advice Alison :thumb:

I agree about leaving the Buns together. Cross-infection will already have happened if its going to. Stress exacerbates Snuffles and being seperated from a friend is stressful for Bunnies.
Good luck at the Vets.

Janex

Am doing quite well this morning - not only did I manage to get an early appointment at the vet, I also phoned round and persuaded a mate to drive me there :D Which is amazing coz its normally 2 fairly long bus rides and poor Frankie could probably do without the stress (and I will take Lucifer along to keep him company)

Also do u like my new siggy? my mate took this pic last week and I just got round to adding it (Frankenstein is the all-black one - any ideas on his breed?)

The picky is great - maybe a bit big to use as a siggy (you can shrink it using photobucket), but your babbits are :love: :love: :love:

Perhaps you can persuade your nice mate to help you catch up on all the work you're supposed to be doing aswell :D

No idea on Frankenstein's breed, but I can tell you that your other bunster is a Dutch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frankie has been put on Baytril and I'm to take him back next week. He seemed much better by the time we got to the vets - hardly any discharge and totally quiet breathing - they must think I'm just a bunny-hypochondriac :oops:

My boss phoned and was really nice about it tho so I feel better on that front - I even have the rest of the day off coz by the time I got there there wouldn't be enough time to do anything meaningful anyway :D

Glad to hear he's already a bit better! Mine always look the picture of health whenever I take them to the vets too :lol: Even my most snuffly snuffler seems to magically be able to keep quiet when we get there - I wonder if it's because she's stressed so is breathing more shallowly and hence quietly?

Excellent :thumb:

All in all, you've not had that bad a day - you've found you've got a great mate, a decent boss, and now you've got the afternoon to snuggle Frankie-bun while most of us are at work :mrgreen:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to actually get the baytril into Frankenstein? His first oral dose is due soon and he goes mental when I go near his mouth, I tried wrapping him in a towel but I can't have done it very well coz he kicked free straight away :oops: He also hasn't forgiven me yet for spoiling his morning nap to drag him to the vet who gave him a nasty injection and poked a light in his mouth (she struggled quite a bit with him as well :lol: )

Back