• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penicillin

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Alfie is having penicillin injections every 3 days
Has anyone elses rabbit been on it? how long will he need to have the injections? the vet said about 3 months is that about the right time?

Hiya, I had a few rabbits that have been on penicillin and one was on it for six months and it really helped him, Is your vet letting you inject him yourself as it would be easier for you. It did help. You do have to be careful though. I had one of my giants on it (Mr Thumps) as he had a respitory infection and unfortunately he died, when I had the pm done it showed he died of pneumonia and Toxic Entiritus Colitus (the penicillin basically poisoned the colon) . It wasn't Mr Thumps who was on it for six months.
I would still let any of my buns have it even though I lost one as it can help and it is a risk I am prepared to take if it helps my buns.

Hope it helps and makes him better :D

Yes im injecting him myself
Im giving him probiotics in his water to try to stop any diarohea probs its working so far :)

Uncle Albert was on DAILY penicillin injections for 3 weeks after his op' to remove the oral tumour. He had no GI upset at all. I gave him a sachet of Bio Lapis daily. Some Vets use a drug called QUESTRAN to try to prevent Penicillin induced enterotoxemia. Questran (Cholestyramine) is a powder you have to mix with water and it is given orally. It is meant to absorb the enterotoxins (bad bacteria) in the guts which can multiply and cause enteritis and septicaemia when Bun is on Penicillin. Uncle A was not on it as Christabel (Vet) was concerned that it might slow his guts down too much.

Janex

catswhiskas said:
My Vet wouldn't give it to me said it was too risky? Don't think it would help Bugsy now.
It took me 7 months to find a vet to give it to Alfie,as its not lienced to be given to rabbits
the vet i found had been on several rabbit courses,so had really looked into the benifits of using it
Im really happy i found my vet,The risks are that it can cause diarohea but alfie has been fine ,ive got him on proboitics

Several of mine have been on courses of penicillin injections. They have all had probiotics and none of them had any digestive trouble. It can take a while to work, or it can work quickly.

The most recent use was when Magic's whole face ballooned out with pus. The vet decided to throw everything at it - pen jabs, baytril and metrodiazole(sp?). It was either that or put her to sleep as she was clearly in dreadful pain and there was no specific site to operate on. She also had a strong painkiller and fucithalmic for her eye that looked about ready to pop out :cry: By the next day her eye was nearly normal and the swelling had drooped down her face - gravity the vet said. Three days later all swelling was gone she was just left with a dead patch of skin under her chin where the skin died from the tension. The scab came of that today, so hopefully she will be better soon. She is very thin now though :cry: And she wouldn't let me catch her tonight, so no metacam in the morning :? I have been feeding her extra tidbits all day so she wasn't hungry enough to jump back in her hutch :roll: It is a good thing she is in the most secure run. Maybe she will let me catch her in the morning, she isn't very nimble these days as she has splayed front feet - that is actually why she needs the metacam, poor old girl.
The vet was very worried about how fast this thing came up on her face, and amazed how quickly it went away again. Neither of us thought she would recover. It just shows how well these antibiotics can work if the vet is brave enough to try them.

kayj said:
Hiya, I had a few rabbits that have been on penicillin and one was on it for six months and it really helped him, Is your vet letting you inject him yourself as it would be easier for you. It did help. You do have to be careful though. I had one of my giants on it (Mr Thumps) as he had a respitory infection and unfortunately he died, when I had the pm done it showed he died of pneumonia and Toxic Entiritus Colitus (the penicillin basically poisoned the colon) . It wasn't Mr Thumps who was on it for six months.
I would still let any of my buns have it even though I lost one as it can help and it is a risk I am prepared to take if it helps my buns.

Hope it helps and makes him better :D

Charlie were on it wasnt he? Xx

Yeh, Becki Charlie was on it but his condition was far to advanced for it to help him as you know.

catswhiskas said:
I have just phoned my vet about it and they are going to look into it and call back. Fingers crossed.
Well i can give your vets my vets number if you want?
they can speak to the vet treating alfie

penicillin

My Percy was given these injections for his eye infection :( he had no adverse reactions & his eye cleared up really well :) he was on them for about a month :(

Back