• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hip problems in babies?

Trayo

New Kit
We have 2 kittens as poor Sherry was "raped" by a wild rabbit whilst in her garden run. I say raped, but she didn't seem bothered! She's all up to date with vaccinations etc anyway.

Of the 5 babies born, 2 survived. They are just so beautiful.

At 2 weeks old, the larger of the babies is very mobile, very active, extremely inquisitive and has started to floow her / his mum into the run. The other one, however, burrows very deeply all the eim, a bit like a mole with his / her hind legs splayed. The bigger bun doesn't have these splayed legs. The smaller one also seems to be much less mobile.

Is this just a development thing, or is it possible that the baby has a hip dysplasia?

This baby was supposed to be homed with a friend but if it has a problem I am very reluctant to let it go to a first-time bunny-owner.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

raped is probably not the best word to be using, :roll: :roll: :roll:

as for hip dysplaysia it is extremely rare in rabbits and only seen in very heavy (giant breeds) rabbits and even then very rare

my guess wthout seeing it would be thats it is just a development rate thing considering it is only 2 weeks old, and learning muscle control, if it hasnt conrected itself soon veterinary assistance would be wise.

bunnylove said:
raped is probably not the best word to be using, :roll: :roll: :roll:

as for hip dysplaysia it is extremely rare in rabbits and only seen in very heavy (giant breeds) rabbits and even then very rare

my guess wthout seeing it would be thats it is just a development rate thing considering it is only 2 weeks old, and learning muscle control, if it hasnt conrected itself soon veterinary assistance would be wise.

Thanks. I've just looked at a site explaining splay leg, and it gives a model for braces. Poor bunny - I'll watch it for another week and see how things develop before I get it looked at professionally.

A lot of the time when kits are just leaving the nest and nosing around they are a bit ahead of their bodies. The legs are weak and more usage builds them up, this is obviuosly the runt of the two and may be just a bit more behind in development. Hopefully they will right but i'd seek a vets opinion if they dont.

Sound to me like splay leg. This happens because one of the parents are carrying the genetics for it, you should take the baby to the vet as soon as possable. val

Back