• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhea(sp)

Angie66

Young Bun
One of my temporary buns has it.

She's been to vets & had a pain killer jab & one to get her to eat. Her belly is swollen (She may be pregnant - though vet didn't think so). I'm syringe feeding water (Vet said she was dehydrated).

She was fed mix - but only eats the green flakey bits, so from Monday (I got her Sat), I started mixing it with excel pellets- which she eats. She eats tonnes of hay, but hadn't been fed it before cos she "doesn't like it".

This morning she was hunched up, but better than she was last night, though still no solid poops, & she'd not left the mattress all night. Is there anything else I should be doing? She ate a bit of grated carrot this morning, but no interest in her hay or broccoli (her fave).

Apart from her swollen belly, she's quite thin.

Can you get hold of some BLACKBERRY LEAVES? They are very good for treating scouring. If she is dehydrated she may well need sub-cutaneous or IV fluids so I would ask your Vet about this ASAP. A dehydrated bun is a very poorly Bun. I would not feed carrot (too much sugar) or Brocolli. Is she eating any hay at all? What she needs is fluids/fibre+++ and very little sugar/carbohydrate. As it is so hot I think I would want any Bun of mine with a nasty bout of diarrhoea to be on sub/cut fluids.
Do you have any Diorolyte (human powder used to re-hydrate and replace essential electrolytes) There is a paediatric version available OTC from chemists. You could try syringing her some of that along with a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis.
Hope poor Bun feels better soon.
Janex

SuperMuppet said:
Can you get hold of some BLACKBERRY LEAVES? They are very good for treating scouring. If she is dehydrated she may well need sub-cutaneous or IV fluids so I would ask your Vet about this ASAP. A dehydrated bun is a very poorly Bun. I would not feed carrot (too much sugar) or Brocolli. Is she eating any hay at all? What she needs is fluids/fibre+++ and very little sugar/carbohydrate. As it is so hot I think I would want any Bun of mine with a nasty bout of diarrhoea to be on sub/cut fluids.
Do you have any Diorolyte (human powder used to re-hydrate and replace essential electrolytes) There is a paediatric version available OTC from chemists. You could try syringing her some of that along with a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis.
Janex

Vet recommended I get some Bio-Lapis, so am getting some today. Will get some paediatric Diorolyte too. She had eaten most of her hay Tues night/Wed morning, but not much Wed day or since. She hadn't touched water from her bottle, but had drunk some from her bowl this morning, so gonna keep giving it her in a dish. I saw a different vet from normal, but she seemed very rabbit savvy. I've to call her tonight if i want a home visit (save stressing bun out more). Will find blackberry leaves!!
I'm off home midday to check on her, so if she's worse/no better, will call vet re IV.

Cheers Jane!!

Angie66 said:
SuperMuppet said:
Janex

Healing vibes being sent!!
:D :D
Janex

Vet recommended I get some Bio-Lapis, so am getting some today. Will get some paediatric Diorolyte too. She had eaten most of her hay Tues night/Wed morning, but not much Wed day or since. She hadn't touched water from her bottle, but had drunk some from her bowl this morning, so gonna keep giving it her in a dish. I saw a different vet from normal, but she seemed very rabbit savvy. I've to call her tonight if i want a home visit (save stressing bun out more). Will find blackberry leaves!!
I'm off home midday to check on her, so if she's worse/no better, will call vet re IV.

Cheers Jane!!

Is she gassy? She might need some gas meds to go along with that. I recently had a problem with one of my girls not liking the new bale of hay and she got mild diarrhea because of it (she has a very sensitive GI tract). Then she stopped eating and got bloated from gas, probably from the same bacterial overgrowth. This was treated successfully with simethicone (baby gas meds) and tummy massages, and I started syringe feeding her tiny amounts once the bloating decreased a little.

Make sure there is no green or fruits. Just pellets. In fact, no very cool water, just normal temperature water.

If the diarrhea continues, it can kill the bunny.

Also, hand feed her timothy hay, especially the stem, that would make a difference too.

Bunny has had Bio-lapis, paediatric Diorolyte powder stuff, a few pellets, a couple of blackberry leaves (took me ages!!), & a lot of hay. She's still drinking A LOT, but poops are mostly solid. She's also chewed my wardrobe, so i'm thinking she's feeling better :? :lol:

Angie65 said:

Bunny has had Bio-lapis, paediatric Diorolyte powder stuff, a few pellets, a couple of blackberry leaves (took me ages!!), & a lot of hay. She's still drinking A LOT, but poops are mostly solid. She's also chewed my wardrobe, so i'm thinking she's feeling better :? :lol:

Yaaaaay!!
Glad she is on the mend :thumb:

Janex

Back