• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unhappy bun

kaskaskia

Alpha Buck
I need some advice!
If anyones read my previous post, you'll know that I have 1 boy rabbit named Benjamin, that I have had since Christmas, and then about 3 weeks ago we got a girl rabbit (roughly same age) from a rescue centre that was on rabbit rehome.
When we went to see gilr rabbit, we asked about how we go about introducing her to benj, and the lady told us that she just puts them in together from day one. She said there would be fur flying for a few days while they sorted out who was boss, but that they would evetually settle down.
So thats what we did. But since having been reading more and more on here, I have realised that we shouldn't have done that.
Anyway - for a few days after we got her, she was constantly running away from Benjamin (who looked thrilled to have a new friend!) I felt really sorry for benj, he looked so heartbroken when she wouldn't play!
But after a few days, I would see him lying next to her, or washing her face, which I took as a good sign.
BUT this morning I went out to feed them, and noticed that every time B was going near her, she was going for him, scratching or clawing, and running away. I am really worried now! I thought they were beginning to get on, but Imogen is still really timid with us, which is not a good sign, she's always scared when we go near her. I've never actually seen her show any friendliness to B, its always been him cuddling up to her. She looks asif she is tolerating him, rather than enjoying his compnay.
What do i do? Im worried that she is really unhappy, and Im wporried one of them is going to get badly injured if she keeps fighting him.
Please help!

Is he neutered? How long since?

If it's recent, or he's not neutered, she may be getting fed up with his constant humping. If she's not spayed, it could be hormonal. Personally, I'd separate & rebond slowly from scratch. (Cages next to each other- swapping now & again to get each other's smell, then play-time on neutral territory.) Some buns do bond instantly - my Polly bonded with her dad straight away, & Rosie & Flint met once, had a scuffle, then got on fine the next time!!

You could try taking them for a ride in a car in a carrier. That could make them turn to each other for company.

Don't separate them unless they have injured each other. If they have you may need to conclude that they simply don't like each other. Rabbits sometimes just don't click. The way you did the bonding was fine as long as you didn't let then actually fight. Chasing and mounting and a bit of fur pulling is quite different than real fighting. The method of separating them every day is counter productive in my view. Rabbits love to argue with the bun next door which doesn't help them bond at all. Cuddling and arguing are both natural parts of rabbit behaviour. They get stimulation and satisfaction from both. The best way to bond is to get them to view eachother as comforters rather than as rivals. This is best done by putting them into a situation where they need each other - neutral territory or a car ride both acheive this, but there are other methods too - having them near a noisy appliance such as a washing machine or vauum cleaner for instance.

Some pairs of rabbits do a lot of chasing. It all depends on temperament. If she isn't spayed she could be reacting differently depending on where in her cycle she is.

Thanks for the advice.
He is neutered, he was done about 4 or 5 weeks before we got her.
I think she is neutered as the lady we got her from neutered all the rabbits she took in. But I will double check.
I havn't seen them actually fight - all I have seen is Imogen snap at Benjamin, or claw him away. He does chase her quite a lot though, she is probably a bit fed up.
He did keep trying to mount her a couple of times in the first few days, and I once saw her mounting him, which amused me - but that was when we first got her, and I havn't seem him doing to to her since then.
This morning when I saw her snapping at him, I was surprised as I havn't seen her do it since the first few days we had her, maybe she is just having a bad day..... but she still seems so scared of us, and its bothering me. I don;t know where she has come from or anything, maybe she is not used to much human contact.

It sounds similar to the senario I had with my first pair I bonded. There was mounting at first, lots of chasing and they seemed OK but then it deteriorated and they ended up fighting pretty fiercely. In the end I separated them for a couple of days then started again in a new, neutral place, had a few sessions in there that I supervised and then left them together in that room for about 5 days until I felt confidant that they were well established. Then I moved them back to their regular room and they have been fine ever since.
Having said that. . if your pair aren't fighting or getting excessively stressed I would go with it and just let them try and sort it out on their own (with lots of supervision).

Well I went out earlier to see them when I got in from work, they seemed ok. While I was emptying their litter tray and sweeping up the run, the little girl next door said they had been fighting. I gather she means that Imogen was snapping at Benjamin, and not actually fighting with each other - I hope not anyway.
All has seemed peaceful this evening, and I went out about half an hour ago to see what was what. I realised that we don't give Imogen nearly as much human contact as we did when we first got Benjamin, so I grabbed her (she always runs away when I try to get her) and bought her inside for a cuddle. The poor thing is so terrified, her eyes are wide and she's breathes very quickly. I sat with her on the couch and she was so scared she didn't dare even move to run away. I sat like that stroking her for about 15 mins, and after a while she started sniffing round and having a nosy - but she hasn't left the couch. I've left her down there with the OH while I'm writing this.
I figured it might be good to give her a bit of a break from Benj as well, seeing as she seems to be a bit fed up with him.
I hope that by getting her in and sitting her with us for half an hour or so every night will calm her a bit, and make her more relaxed.
I feel like such an amateur! :cry:

no youre not!!

believe you me we had a heck of a time..but it did work out eventually...

i know what you mean..we didnt give Bif ( or biffykins as shes ended up) time to bond with us..we just figured wed let her bond with oscar and shed follow his lead..but it didnt seem i was ever going to get that..but slowly shes improving..and i mean teeny weeny steps..but she hadnt been hugged for a while..got scared shed be shut away again...but now shes realising its ok..she does get let out again...
and for the past few days weve given her grooming sessions and cuddles and hugs..shes back to how she was before bonding took place..she actually enjoys hugs and will hug you back..

we have a website with a diary and pictures and video clips of our experience..i felt such failure..everyone else seemed to do fine by the rules..but rules are broken with a lot of buns..
i had resigned myself to keeping biffykins in my room upstairs when suddenly they got friendly and in a few more days had moved in togehter!!
i hope our experience can be of some help to you...if only to provide you with proof that bonding bunnies is not a smooth ride!!

http://fuzzywigs.moonfruit.com

my daughters borderline relapse with M.E so shes not been working on it for a while..plus ntl broadband is a joke right now..but shes going to be adding bunnyproofing where to buy etc...bunny humour..safe foods and posion foods lists amongst others..including the stroy of dazy the house bun who had to live outside and how ell cared for she is with pictures..(not my bun but an online pals of mine who used to work for the rspca doing home visits)

the bunny bonding i wishd id seen at the beginning i can tell you..i was upset id failed themboth..now theyre surgically attached i swear!1

Back