• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Cover

Carole

Warren Scout
I have just moved my bunnies to their outside hutch for the first time. The hutch is a large double decker with a run attached to the front, and they also get lots of freedom in my garden (under supervision of course).

When its raining they will insist on sitting on the top desk looking out through the wire and getting wet. I have been looking at the scratch and newton hutch covers, has anyone got one, and as I really only want it to stop the rain on the top deck they do seem expensive, and of course they will move back in for the winter.

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks Carole.

I have a clearish shower curtain over mine when it rains. Keeps them dry but they still get the light through

RIMG0680.jpg

If anyone is interested in the Scratch and Newton hutch covers ARC will have a complete set which has been donated by Scratch and Newton for people to look at. As many people are aware ARC are having an open day next Sunday 21st May in Whitton (Twickenham) the covers will be on display, if you are in our area let me know and you can have a look and descide for yourself.

The set we have is has a flyscreen, an insulated liner which protects both against heat and cold and the outside rain protector. There is also an insulated bottle cover as well.

Janice

Thanks v much for the replies - something like a shower curtain looks ideal - will go on the hunt for one.

Thanks again - Carole

Have you thought that some bunnies might actually like sitting in the rain? Some of ours love it, others hate it. Unfortunately Victoria (long haired) loves it but the silly mare's coat gets in an awful mess :roll: :lol:

Hi Lynda,

Well it did cross my mind whether they actually liked it, or whether they just like sitting there with a view across the garden. One of mine is a Lionhead so like yours with the long hair.

I suppose the thing for me to do is to put some plastic over the door and see if they still sit there, if they go and sit in their run then I know its definately the rain that they like.

Carole

You can also buy clear tarpaulin in various sizes with eyelets which allow you to fix it on using cable ties or whatever. It's the sort of stuff they use on fruit stalls! I have one for the Eglu, it fits perfectly and is totally waterproof. However, might be no less expensive than the hutch covers I suppose... b-m

Thanks for the ideas - well I have found a transparent shower curtain in IKEA for 99p and I have just found a clear tarpaulin. I would prefer for it to be clear so that they can see out.

I rang scratch and newton and because my hutch has an apex roof it will have to be made and will cost around £69! so I dont think I am going to go down that route - as I only need it to keep the rain out.

This is a very good forum for sharing ideas - especially for me being a novice bunny owner.

Carole

Just be careful on the 'clear tarpaulin' front - some clear tarpaulins are clear but not seethrough, sounds odd but it's true! The one covering my buns runs is monotarp and described as 'clear' but the weave strengthener means that whilst it lets light through and doesn't cast a shadow like the normal tarpaulin does, it isn't clear enough to allow the buns to actually see through it :wink:

Hi Alison,

Thanks for the advice, I ordered one last night off the internet and I have just looked at it again now, and it sounds like it will be clear, this is the description:-

"Glass clear pvc tapaulins which are totally see through like a pane of glass and allows maximum light penetration. Hemmed and brass eyelets at 1 metre intervals"

I will only put it on overnight and when its wet, and it will just be on the top part of the hutch, if they want to get wet they can go and sit in the run!!

Thanks again.

Carole

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions I ordered a clear tarpaulin from a company called Kover-It on the internet. Mine was 6ft x 8ft and does the job great. I ordered it on Weds and it arrived today -so very good service.

Now the bunnies can stay dry if they wish.

Thanks again everyone.

Carole

Back