• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril dosage

ben_19

Young Bun
First of all thankyou to everyone who has replied to the other thread about my poor lucky who had to have her left hind leg removed due to damage and infection.

Now the vet gave me three things:

some food mix stuff - she doesnt like
some Baytril? which is 5mls Baytril oral susp 2.5%, water onc per

He told me to put this in 100ml of water each day and let her drink it however she has not touched her water and the vet also mentioned she hadnt taken much fluid in their either. Now i decided to give her it orally but im a bit unsure of the dosage she needs, i have syringed a bit of water to her which she has taken but shouldi give the full 0.8ml of Baytril too her?

Also he gave me some sort of pain relief which i syringed and she took it no problem.

any advice appreciated

Hiya.
Giving her the Baytril in one dose is fine. Better than in water as she is unlikely to get the full dose that way.
Baytril tastes DISGUSTING (yep, Ive tried it :oops: :roll: ) so if you dip the tip of the syringe into some honey or Jam first it disguises the smell a bit and makes the Baytril taste a bit better!!
I suspect the pain relief will be METACAM (MELOXICAM) . It is Honey Flavoured (Yep, tried that one too :lol: ) and most Buns take it without too much trouble.
You might also want to get some PROBIOTIC Powder from your Vet. You put this in the drinking water or on her food. The probiotics can help to re-balance the 'good bacteria' in her guts which can be disrupted by antibiotics.
Janex

I can't remember what the usual dose of baytril is, but I have successfully given it in the past by getting a little chunk of apple or carrot, cutting scores into it and letting the baytril soak in. Bunny then unsuspectingly munches away on the treat, and whilst suspicious of the unusual flavour and texture, is usually too greedy to stop eating :lol: I've also heard that you can mix it with a tiny bit of ribena or apple juice to take the bitter edge off it.

hi thanks for the replies. I am assuming she didnt like the baytril lol as after gave it to her (0.8ml) she jumped around a little and tried to flap her nose type thing. I suppose thats a good sign considering she had a leg removed yesterday,

the pain relief is metacam 1.5 mgml and im sure the vet said it wasnt licensed for rabbits but dogs but he finds its better, i only give her two of the tiniest drops of this and she didnt quarm too much about it. The vet said it was very important i didnt give her any more than 2 drops but it seems to have done the trick, she had a little wander before and is a bit unbalanced but she seems to be doing ok, vet said her chances were 50/50.

I will bathe her wound later and put some vaseline on then turn the lights out on her for the night. Im really proud of her

Sounds like you are doing a great job a chief bunny nurse :thumb:
Lots of Veterinary prescription meds are not licensed for rabbits purely because it costs too much for the drug companies to do so :x
However, that does NOT mean that used correctly as per Veterinary advice these drugs are not safe.
Like any medication there are always risks and side effects but Metacam, which is a NON STEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, is less risky than some of the other drugs in the same group (eg Rimadyl AKA Carprofen).
Hope little tripod bunny has a comfortable night.

Janex

Back