• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update mucoid enteritis

nicole

Mama Doe
Has anyone had much experience of this?

I have a 10 week old rabbit in the pet shop that I think has it (going to vets tomorow).

I had three male's (all brothers) and sold 2 of them to a nice couple. This left the little bunny on his own, think this has stressed him, and fact he will not eat hay has brought on this mucoid enteritis.

If only he would eat hay and drink water this would help him on his way to recovery. I know that high fiber, fluids and probiotics will help him. (Thats what the vet will do tomorow),.

Can any one help with a rabbit not eating hay, I never came across a rabbit that was not into his hay!

Runny/mucousy diarrhea in a baby rabbit? He needs to get to a vet immediately. If he has true mucoid enteritis, he might not be able to wait a day. :(

He has had it on and off the past week.

One day he's great hopping about mad and is eating science selective, next day not much hopping about, then the next day mucous on botty.

So I stop the pellets and it clears up.

Yesterday my day off Daz gave him 1/2 handfull of pellets, then he phoned me today )another day off) saying the wee guy is eating the pellets and not much hay, but his potty is clean.

Now at 5:30 (closing time) Daz said he has a wee bit mucous on his botty.

Thats why he's going to the vets tomorow. If he had lost weight, sitting hunched up, grinding teeth and eyes sunken (typical mucoid enteritis signs) he would of went this evening.

But I'm not sure whats going on. The runs for the rabbits are away from the main garden centre and there is no noise and not alot of people so no stress there. I'm sure it's because he has'nt got his brothers there.

Sorry for going on a bit.

It could be coccidea. Most rabbits are carriers, but some do get bad infections from it and it shows up as diarrhea or sometimes intermittent diarrhea. Stress can set off an infection, because it decreases the immune system's efficiency.

Oh my lord!!

I have never had that before.

I will have to phone the people that took his two brothers and the lady
that sold me the rabbits.

Never have had a problem with her bunnys before.

It usually just requires a fecal test and a round of antibiotics. Like I said, many rabbits are carriers and never have a problem. It's when the coccidia populations increase that there are issues. It does tend to be more common in pet shop rabbits because there is more stress with the people, and being moved to the petshop and then to their owner's home, etc.

I keep all rabbits and guineas for 1 week prior to selling the, to make sure there are no probs, had the three rabbits for 9 days before the two brothers (fudge and marbles) went to there new home.

Then this wee guy started his problems.

Like I said I have never had this problem before, could you tell me more about it? Like how it is treated?
I would be forever greatful.

Thanx for your help. I hope it's not coccidea!
I'll let you know how the wee thing gets on at the vets.

Update

The rabbit (Hank) went to the vet to day. He told me that he is stressed because his two brothers left him. So I have him home with me till he gets better.
He has got bio lapin and Metoclopramide.
I have also to feed him with science recovery.
Mash down his hay! Never done that could anyone help with this?
And the juice fron the hay can I give him this?

Update

The rabbit (Hank) went to the vet to day. He told me that he is stressed because his two brothers left him. So I have him home with me till he gets better.
He has got bio lapin and Metoclopramide.
I have also to feed him with science recovery.
Mash down his hay! Never done that could anyone help with this?
And the juice fron the hay can I give him this?

Back