• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still sneezy..

Karly

Banned
I posted a little while ago when two of my buns were sneezing, one with nasal discharge too.
The vet reckoned it was just an allergy to a new hay I used, and I did think it was rather dusty at the time but I let it air and the buns loved it which is why I kept giving it to them. Obviously after the sneezes I chucked it all out just incase.
However, that was about the 8th of April, and both buns are still a little sneezy. I took them back to the vet yesterday and the vet listened to their chest and had a checkover and doesn't think it's anything more serious and was reluctant to give antibiotics because of the chance of it making them more resistant to it in the future.
However, I just cleaned out their litter tray and popped in their normal hay, Rex jumped straight in like he does, then sneezed about 20 times in a row :?
Is it possible the allergic reaction to one hay has made him more sensitive to others, or would he still be 'recovering' from the 8th?
If he is allergic to all hays now, what do I do instead? Buns are indoors and used to a lot of veg but as two of them (not Rex) have molar problems I don't want to remove hay from their diet, but I wouldn't want to split them either as they're a tightly bonded trio.

Have you tried only providing hay in hay racks, maybe it's the jumping in and disturbing it all that is getting it up his nose? Might be worth a try for a while to see if it makes any difference :?

I don't use woodshavings for any of my animals anymore. The rabbits are bedded on newspaper (had Vetbed but as one of them wees everywhere it needed washing far too often and it only just fits in our washing machine and doesn't wash as well as it should) with either woodbased cat litter or Megazorb in the litter trays. I put the hay in their big litter tray as they're all toothless and when Mary used to have a hayrack he didn't seem to be able to manage to pull much out without his teeth. Rex has never had any sneezy problems before the other week, and as you might've seen from the 'spot the bunny' pic I posted the other day, he does love to sit amongst the hay!

Back