• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie isnt eating

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Alfie had a dental op on fri and has been fine since.when i went in to feed everyone alfie stayed in is hutch but usually comes running out
he didnt want his food :(
he seems fine otherwise

Oh no, I've syringed fed Zippy baby food before, she wan't that impressed by it, but she didn't really protest, could you not force feed him?

Come on Alfie get well for mommy.

Has he had pain relief :?: He could still very sore.

Poor little man, get better soon Alfie!!

He ate fine fri night,all day yesterday and this morning,yes he had a metacam injection after his op

I have some metacam i can give him
the vet said his teeth were not too bad so his mouth shouldnt be too sore

How does his tummy feel? Is he still pooing? Maybe he needs lots of hay and tummy massages to get his gut moving if not. x

missshell said:
How does his tummy feel? Is he still pooing? Maybe he needs lots of hay and tummy massages to get his gut moving if not. x
His tummy feels fine
Alfie wont eat hay :(

Have his poops been of normal size/quantity today/yesterday? Has he been drinking. If he normally drinks from a bottle I'd put a bowl of water down for him too. Some of my 'dental' buns go off their food if they have not had enough to drink. And drinking from a bottle is sometimes more difficult for 'dental' buns.
If Alfie has not had any pain relief within the last 24hrs you could give him a dose of Metacam. If he still hasn't eaten by tomorrow I would telephone your Vet for advice.
Janex

JCO said:
Have his poops been of normal size/quantity today/yesterday? Has he been drinking. If he normally drinks from a bottle I'd put a bowl of water down for him too. Some of my 'dental' buns go off their food if they have not had enough to drink. And drinking from a bottle is sometimes more difficult for 'dental' buns.
If Alfie has not had any pain relief within the last 24hrs you could give him a dose of Metacam. If he still hasn't eaten by tomorrow I would telephone your Vet for advice.
Janex
Hiya jane
its difficult because his and truffles poo looks the same!
It was defo normal size fri night and yesterday,and he ate his breakfast this morning,yes he has been drinking from his bottle

If you have a GENTLE feel of his belly you might be able to tell if he has lots of poops in there which would indicate his guts have slowed down. Or you may be able to tell if his tum feels tender. In the early stages of reduced gut motility sometimes abdominal massage is enough to get things moving. Hopefully that and a dose of Metacam will sort things out. If not its probably the vets again for Alfie-Bun.
Janex

SOAD said:
Could you not crush up a few pellets or tempt him with a few herbs?
The thing is he isnt an easy rabbit,he was never handled so hates being picked up he will bite and scratch :(
When i had to force feed him before he got himself in a right state

JCO said:
If you have a GENTLE feel of his belly you might be able to tell if he has lots of poops in there which would indicate his guts have slowed down. Or you may be able to tell if his tum feels tender. In the early stages of reduced gut motility sometimes abdominal massage is enough to get things moving. Hopefully that and a dose of Metacam will sort things out. If not its probably the vets again for Alfie-Bun.
Janex
He had a maxolon injection on fri,what would it feel like if full of poo?

Dental work is painful, and he should definately be getting pain meds. You can grind up some of his pellets and wet them down with water, or better yet apple flavored Pedialyte (drink for dehydrated infants) as it will smell and taste yummy. Try putting a bit on his lips or paw so he'll lick it off. If he still won't eat it, you'll have to feed him with a syringe.

Drinking is very important too. If he's not, give him a bowl. Or two bowls, with one spiked with just enough Pedialyte to flavor/scent it a bit. If he won't drink on his own, it's important to syringe fluids into him too. Room temperature water is good, or again Pedialyte. I keep recommending it because Mocha took it willingly from a syringe when she was in stasis, even though she felt too badly to drink it on her own.

If you have canned pumpkin, that's another good thing to syringe in as food or mix with the pellets. Not too much if he's not used to it or doesn't like it though. My buns love it and get it as a frequent treat. I keep it around for emergencies like this, but I know it's hard to come by in the UK.

Edit- Heat often makes rabbits feel more comfortable. If you haven't already, give him a warm snuggle-safe, warm towels, or a microwaved dry rice-stuffed sock.

Panic over!!!! :)
just went to give him some metcam and he was chucking his bowl so i have given him some pellets he is eating them now and some carrot
I know what the problem was he has passed a huge hair ball poo!
What can i give him to help it pass through? he wont eat pineapple
do i still need to give the metcam?

Yay for poop!

I'd give him the metacam just in case.

I thought newer research showed that enzymes don't help with hairballs? Best thing for him is lots and lots of hay to help push everything through, and plenty of water. If he normally gets greens, spray a little water on them. And make sure he's drinking lots.

naturestee said:
Yay for poop!

I thought newer research showed that enzymes don't help with hairballs? Best thing for him is lots and lots of hay to help push everything through, and plenty of water. If he normally gets greens, spray a little water on them. And make sure he's drinking lots.
Hiya
I wish he would eat hay.but he wont :(

naturestee said:
Yay for poop!

Ditto!! Me and thee seem to sing from the same hymn sheet :thumb: :D
Janex

Back