• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smelly poo

ljs383

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

I adopted a bun from the RSPCA a few weeks ago and his poo's seem to smell and are made worse by cabbage. I'm not sure if its greens in general should I stop feeding them to him altogether? Is it alright for bunnies not to have any greens?

Thanks

Lynda

ljs383 said:
Hi everyone

I adopted a bun from the RSPCA a few weeks ago and his poo's seem to smell and are made worse by cabbage. I'm not sure if its greens in general should I stop feeding them to him altogether? Is it alright for bunnies not to have any greens?

Thanks

Lynda

It depends on the proportion of greens they're on, to the proportion of cereals etc

Do you mean his 'currant poos' smell or are you talking about his caecotrophs (soft poos that he should eat) Caecotrophs usually STINK :shock: :roll: . If cabbage does not seem to agree with your Bun there are many other greens to try (one at a time and in SMALL amounts) If he is eating LOTS of hay it will help keep his guts healthy. As he was from the RSPCA I assume he is neutered? Entire Bucks are quite whiffy :roll: :roll: :lol: I would try him on a good hay based diet with a small amount of dried pellet feed and something like a SMALL portion of Spring Greens. You can also try him on some herbs such as Basil or Parsley ( a favorite with my buns) Do make sure that any new food is introduced individually and in SMALL portions to avoid upsetting Buns Tum!! Janex

I noticed that one/both of our rabbits currant poos smelt the other week...they're fine now though thank goodness, they were a bit whiffy! We had been feeding then greens/cabbage!!!!! :oops: :lol:

Candy is a house bun and also on a diet so she just has her veg and lots of hay now.

Her caecotrophs poo's smell really bad but her current poo's only smell bad if she's had cabbage, I tend to give her kale rather that cabbage and that dosen't seem to have the same effect.

Hi thanks everyone maybe its his caecotrophs, but I think I will cut out cabbage and give him small amounts of some other greens.

Thanks

Lynda and buns :D

Back