• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help,Nails came off!!!!!!!!Advise please

I put Liquorice in breifly with bertrice no go!!!!! :shock: Liquorices nail came off only in there together for about 30 secs,so i seperated them with a broom and got him out.
His nails off :shock: :shock: Iv stopped the bleeding and i can see the white quick underneath,will this be ok??Any advise,I was thinking of giving him a little calpol as iv read on here some where calpols ok for pain but i dont no the dosage any advise please???Im desperate???

I've never had this happen to my rabbit so I'm no expert but would recommend you take her to a vet to make sure the wound is really clean. This happened to a hamster of mine once when he got a nail caught in the carpet. His finger went septic and had to be removed :( - your vet should be able to see if it's likely to become infected and may put a dressing on or something if so.

I rang the vet just now and she said as long as its stopped bleeding it should be ok,but the thing is im worried about him being in pain!! :(

Sophie lost a nail once, she had caught it on something. I took her to the vet, but they too just said it will be fine and not to worry. Just keep an eye on the nail to make sure it doesn't get infected! :wink:

I think you can give them childrens painkiller like calpol in small doses but CHECK the dose because I'm not sure. Or what about something like an antiseptic cream to rub on his finger?? You know, like the stuff you put on your ears when you get them pierced?

Cassie lost a nail once and I rang them and they did say to pop her in.The vet did say it would be ok tho. It never did grow back properly!!!

Don't know about the pain killers tho!! :?

I'm sure it will be ok for a bunny finger if it's ok for baby bots and faces!! not sure how painkilling it would be?

If it has been bleeding then personally, I wouldn't put anything on it!

Is your bun limping? If not than I would say he will be ok and just keep an eye on it!

Hes not limping,and its clean,i have some metacam left so i gave him a dropper of that,so hopefully hel be ok,what a worry always something going on in this house!! :roll:

Tia had very overgrown nails when she came into rescue, so the nail bed seems to be weak - today she caught one of her nails on the side of the litter tray, and I was horrified to see it sticking up at right angles to her foot! I gave it a wiggle and it just fell off like a loose tooth - no blood.

A couple of months ago she caught a nail on my clothes and ripped it off too - I freaked out as I'd not seen any of my bunnies do that before, and there was lots of blood everywhere - but I just made sure she didn't get it dirty (easy as she was indoors then) and it didn't get infected - seems fine now.

rabbits loose there nails a lot, either by accident or by chewing them. he will be ok and id like to say in no pain. when the quick is cut, its a sharp, instant pain that stings for a second and is quickly forgotten, similar if cutting dogs nails too short. the thing to look out for is infection, sometimes an open nailbed will introduc infection so look for swelling and discolouration, bathe it for a few days and maybe keep him off shavings (if he has those)

When my vet cut the finger nail of my bird, I notice she dip some sort of cream at the cut area, whether that cream is to prevent blood from coming out or anti-infection, I don't know. Surely it would be the same idea for a bunny.

But once it is open and the wound explores to air, there is a chance of infection if that nail touch some dirty area around the house. would it?

Back