• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

diarrhoea every 4/5 days, why?

Karenh

New Kit
Please can anyone help. I am fostering a rabbit that has been treated for cociddiosis (spelling?). He was kept in at the vets for 3 weeks and kept getting diarrhoea, they eventually decided he had cociddiosis, and treated him accordingly. His final faeces check came back clear.

I have now had him at home for 4 weeks. He gets 4 to 5 clear days and then he will get diarrhoea ( or at least very runny and very smelly poos) that lasts for 24 hours. He is definately off colour that day, he will eat very little and his stomach feels a bit bloated, but the following day he is back to normal.

I have changed him from excel pellets to Selective Science (for the priobiotic and high fibre content)which he coped with very well but it doesn,t seem to have made any difference. On the good days he eats loads of hay and has a good appetite, he drinks about 300ml of water a day, and is generally a very happy bunny.

I have just taken a sample of his diarrhoea to the vets for checking.

In the meantime does anyone have any ideas why this is happening.

:?

aww poor little thing - sounds like you are doing everything right, so I hope the vet can shed some light on it for you - I'm sorry I haven't a clue, except he may have some permanent damage, a bit like colitis in humans?

Sounds odd, but are his teeth OK?
We had a bun at work that came to us with a very poorly litter (we suspected cociddiosis by a few died before we could even get them to the vet - the ones that survived didn't get that far because the manager's a twit :evil:). One of them didn't get as poorly as the others but had an on/off dodgy tummy the whole time he was there, and hence spent his first 6 months in the quarantine room. One day I was down there cleaning them out and noticed he hadn't had much hay. Either I missed it somehow (I'm paranoid at checking bunny teeth after getting Mary who had malloclusion of his teeth) or they grew really quickly, but his teeth were grown almost to the gum and obviously he was struggling to eat hay and just eating a lot of pellets, so not getting enough fibre and causing the large amount of soft poos (he was needing washing very frequently because of it)
I couldn't stand it any longer - he wouldn't have been able to get to the vet for another few days due to company policies (requiring the manager's car to go to the vet, and he wasn't going to be in for a few days) so I told my boss I was taking him home and got his teeth sorted out (had them removed), and touch wood he's never had a dodgy tummy since.
I also took another bun home just before these who had the same illness (was put into this litters cage before it was cleaned out - no idea why as the staff are usually very sensible about that kind of thing), and he'd got to the stage were his bum was matted up with extremely runny smelly poo and he'd stopped eating. Again, not taken to the vet :evil: so when the boss was on holiday I told the other staff I was taking him home! After days of syringe-feeding and cleaning him up, trips to the vet, he started passing solid poos and eating small amounts by himself. He then got soft poos again and I couldn't figure out why - I'd go back to syringe-feeding and he'd be OK, then lapse again. I then realised he lapsed back both times after I'd given him some Readigrass to encourage him to eat hay - obviously it was too rich for his sensitive tum (it caused him problems for a while afterwards, though he's fine with it now in small amounts). He was put on antibiotics incase it was a bacterial infection, I'd be giving him probiotics in his water since day 1 anyway and just carried on syringe-feeding (though less often to get him to eat his Science Selective pellets himself)
Are you giving him anything other than pellets and hay? Dried grass of any kind? Or putting him on the grass outside?

No he's not on any dried grass or fresh grass. I have started introducing him VERY gradually to small amounts of spring cabbage, which doesn't seem to be causing him any discomfort or change. I think his teeth are fine apparently he had them seen to at the vets in september and I presume they checked them again when he was kept in at the vets for the 3 weeks, he also had a blood test in september, so his kidneys are fine.

Its a bit of a puzzle. :?

I have fed him his pellets all in one go once a day, and also tried feeding him smaller amounts a few times a day to see if it made any difference (as he goes mad for his food) but no change!

Back