• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT ADVICE PLEASE! DILLAN HAD A STROKE AT 4PM - UPDATE!

I would be extremely grateful for any advice. :cry:

My 2 year old gorgeous Otter Rex has just had a stroke! I've rushed him up to the vets who gave him an injection to reduce the swelling around his brain!

Dillan's eyes are flicking and his head is tilted and he's slightly disorientated (he doesn't fall over). I recognised he'd had a stroke from these symptoms, so I acted immediately.

I've brought him home, my vet has also put him on something called "Panacur" (sorry, can't quite remember the name). He also suggested giving him Baytril.

I asked my vet for some Oxbo mix to syringe feed him with, just incase he wont eat normally.

My vet also suggested giving him "wide" leafy veg, so he has no problem seeing and eating it.

He's currently in an indoor hutch in a darkened room so he can rest. I'm keeping him warm and comfortable and keeping an eye on him.

What more can I do for Dillan? I have to take him back to the vets in the morning at 9.20am to assess him. I just want him to show improvement and not get any worse. Is there anything my vet can do for him? I've told him about this forum and is willing to act upon anything that will help Dillan.

Dillan is up to date with all his vaccines and is a good sized, normally healthy rabbit.

Please help if you can, I'm desperate!

Kind Regards

Carol

From what you describe these sound like symptoms of a fit associated with E-coniculi, I would imagine your vet suspects the same or he wouldnt have bothered with the panacur. I would keep him on panacur for 28 days. For tonight keep him in a quiet dark place and regularly check on him. If he is not eating on his own syringe feed him little and often. Hopefully by tomorow he will be a lot happier. If it is E-C then the course of Panacur will sort it out.

Cheryl

Oh no! poor Dillan! I wish I could help, but it sounds like you're doing everything right. I wish him a fast recovery.

Dillan

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks very much for your swift response.

You're right, my vet did suggest E-coniculi. What actually causes E-coniculi? Was it something I have done, or haven't done? Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a haze when I was actually at the vets and taking "on board" the medication I had to give him, to think about much else.

When will his eyes stop flicking?

Sorry for all the questions.

Carol

Yep, sounds like Encephalitozoon Cuniculli which is a protozoan parasite that effects the brain/kidneys. The Panacur will kill off the protozoan which will be excreted in your buns wee. SOME of the neurological/nephrotic(kidney) damage may not be able to be reversed but as you have got your bun prompt treatment the long-term problems will hopefully be minimal. It is important that your bun eats and that his GI function remains normal. So syringe feeding is a must if your bun is not eating without assistance. If your bun still shows signs of nystagmus (flicking eyeballs) tomorrow you might want to ask your vet about administering an anti-inflammatory medication or even something like Stemitil (used as an anti-nausea medication in humans or for travel sickness). The damage from the EC causes inflammatory changes in the Central Nervous System....hence the head-tilt/nystagmus.So addressing the inflammatory changes may be necessary. I have had a few buns with severe EC symptoms. They responded well to treatment(although improvement in symptoms is often VERY slow) and made a good recovery. The only long-term prob with a few of them was a very slight head-tilt. Jane and Buns xx

hi bunnyland

i'm sorry to hear about dillan but it does sound as though you're doing everything you can to keep him comfortable. i don't have any more advice that what you've already had but i know what you're going through as one of mine had a stroke back in june and it's very upsetting and distressing.

i know that poppet responded well to metacam and once she started on that she started to eat on her own as for a week i was syringe feeding. also i changed her from a bottle to a water bowl and offered any food i could as her tastes seemed to completely change.

i've got my fingers crossed that he will recover and my bunnies send him snuggles xxx

It's sounds like you have a good vet :) The pancur will be incase it's E.C. the antibiotics (baytril) incase it's an ear infection and the anti-inflamitories will help with either or a stroke :) They have similar symptoms so it can be difficult to know which hense your vet is covering all the bases.

It will be a gradual recovery so don't expect miricles when you get up tommorow. You can support him by making sure he's kept warm, quiet and keeps eating and drinking.

Tam

Dillan

Thanks everyone for all of the advice.

You've certainly given me more hope! I've just syringe fed him some more Oxbo and earlier I gave him his Panacur and Baytril.

I've put him some rabbit muesli, a little carrot and cabbage leaves in his indoor hutch with him. He's eaten some cabbage leaves and he's drunk some water out of his dish.

His eyes seem to be flicking less and he seems a bit more settled. He wee'd all over me when I was feeding him. I presume this has something to do with his stroke or treatment, as he never normally does this. I really don't mind, I just want him back to his old self!

I'll let you all know how he goes on at the vets in the morning. He said that Dillan needed to be assessed to see whether he was making any progress or whether he would have to be pts (I definitely can't even think about this alternative!) As soon as he mentioned the possibility, I just went in to panic mode!

Dillan just has to recover!

Regards

Carol

Oh Carol PLEASE do not agree to have Dillan PTS yet, even if vet says that it should be done!!! My Billie was in a real state with EC....LOSS OF BALANCE,HEAD-TILT,NYSTAGMUS,LOSS OF BLADDER CONTROL. It took 14 DAYS of INTENSIVE NURSING and treatment with Panacur,Baytril,Rimadyl,Stemitil,Metoclopromide :shock: :shock: BUT HE GOT BETTER :D :D . I was syringe feeding him/giving sub-cutaneous fluids for the first 7 days then he eventually started to eat on his own. The Nystagmus settled within about the first 3 days and bladder control returned. Billie gradually regained his balance and his head-tilt improved to just a SLIGHT one. This was the ONLY remaining long term problem. So dont lose hope, it may be a very long process but if your bun has EC then HE CAN GET BETTER!! Jane and Buns xx

Dillan

Just checking the forum before I set off for the vets.

I'm so pleased that you have told me that Dillan DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PTS! I couldn't bare to lose him!

I've kept on with the intensive care and this morning when I got up, his eyes have stopped flicking! He's already starting to look like his old self!
I am off work for 2 whole weeks now, so I can give him all the care and attention he needs.

Now, even if the vets suggests pts, I WONT ALLOW IT!

I'll let you know the outcome from the vets very soon.

Carol

Re: Dillan

Bunny Land said:
Just checking the forum before I set off for the vets.

I'm so pleased that you have told me that Dillan DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PTS! I couldn't bare to lose him!

I've kept on with the intensive care and this morning when I got up, his eyes have stopped flicking! He's already starting to look like his old self!
I am off work for 2 whole weeks now, so I can give him all the care and attention he needs.

Now, even if the vets suggests pts, I WONT ALLOW IT!

I'll let you know the outcome from the vets very soon.

Carol
GREAT NEWS!! As the Nystagmus has stopped so quickly it's a really positive sign!! We are all here for you and Dillan as you nurse him back to health. Big snuggles to Dillan and supportive hugs to you!! Jane and Buns xx

Only just picked up on this thread, it sounds like you are doing everything just right, you are doing a fine job, all I can say is just keep at it. It is very fortunate that you have some time of work now.

Give young Dillan a BIG hug from all the buns at ARC, and do keep us informed with how you are both doing.

Janice

Dillan

Hi Everyone

I took Dillan to the vets, this time it was a different vet in the practice. She was extremely pleased with Dillan's progress :D :D :D

The vet did a few balance tests on him, just to see how he was "holding" himself and how he was coping and she was very positive about Dillan. :) :) :)

I need to keep on with all the nursing (adminstering Baytril, Panacur and Oxbo). Dillan has eaten even more cabbage today and drunk from his water dish.

He's resting at the moment in his indoor hutch. I can already tell he's bored - by his mannerisms. Charlie; his hutch partner is missing him too. How soon do you think he will be able to go back to Charlie? I know it sounds daft, but Charlie looks out for Dillan. Dillan's not himself without him! I don't know whether Dillan is better inside at the moment, or whether he would be better back in his old routine with Charlie. :? :? :?

What do you think?

Carol

I think (and this is only my opinion) that you should allow Charlie to visit for a little while, it might help Dillan.

I'm so pleased he's doing better :D , keep up the good work, lots of love and snuggles to Dillan and big hugs to you!

sounds encouraging :D

I'm sure he'd be happier with Charlie too - you can't split rabbits up for any length of time without it being tricky to reintroduce them, so make sure they are supervised at first.

Also be aware that Charlie can catch E-C (if that's what he has) from spores that Dillon sheds in his wee - Can't remember but does it mention that in the article I linked to?

just caught this thread . wont offer any advice cos as far as i can see everyone else has mentioned just about everything.

hope hes soon feeling better . take care
Angie

Back