• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can 3 go together

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
Is it possible to house 3 rabbits together?

I've bonded two Dutch Rabbits of opp sexes.
Sophie is slight introverted but she's grown to adore Flopsy. Grooming him etc.

Flopsy is slightly more inquisitive and out there. He's been castrated, Sophie hasn't been spayed.

What are your experiences of this?

I have a large hutch come run. 6ft long by 4ft in height

hi

lots of people introduce a third rabbit to a couple, but it needs care - and would probably start a bit of fighting in your existing rabbits as they tried to keep each other in place - they get jealous if their partner strays!

Main problem would be your female is unspayed - she will be more hormonal and more territorial, so is unlikely to accept a new female - Your male is unlikely to accept a new male.

Re: hi

elve said:
lots of people introduce a third rabbit to a couple, but it needs care - and would probably start a bit of fighting in your existing rabbits as they tried to keep each other in place - they get jealous if their partner strays!

Main problem would be your female is unspayed - she will be more hormonal and more territorial, so is unlikely to accept a new female - Your male is unlikely to accept a new male.

Thank you!

I was thinking of adopting one from a rescue centre

Well first of all I would get all your bunnies spayed or neutered.

It can work really well - I have a loved up threesome to prove it :D Mash and Aggie were bonded and at first when I tried to put Bluebelle with them Aggie was having none of it and the fur flew.

I put them all in the shed and separated them with a mesh fence so they could see and smell each other. A couple of months later Mash actually jumped the fence (it was 3 foot) and I came out in the morning to find him and Bluebelle together. I put him back where he was and the next day both he and Aggie had got over (god only know how but I guess they were determined). :roll:

it has worked out really well as since then they have been snuggling together. I think the secret was the mesh - they had just grown used to seeing and smelling each other.

God luck :D
Lol Pam

It can work out! I've got three boys living together:
triocuddle.jpg

It will vary from rabbit to rabbit though, and I'd probably be tempted to have a larger hutch than 6' for a trio (as it only leaves 2' per rabbit)

What about getting another pair, then introduce them to the other 2, and see how it goes.
I started off with 2 bunnies and now I have 8. I have 7 bunnies all living in one shed as happy as anything and the other is a house bunny.
I found it far easier putting pairs together before letting them meet the other pair, because each would protect their female first and slowly they became friends.
At the end of the day its down to your preference and the personality of your bunnies. I have 1 bunny who loves everyone and is a bit of a hussy :lol: :lol:

I also have a very loved up threesome and foursome. The group of three where orginally a male/female pair and I added another male, they had been living in large runs next to each other for a long time but then baileys partner died so I put him in with Billy and Milly and they are all totally loved up, never a cross word between them. The same can be said for my group of 4, 2 females and 2 males, they adore each other. It is important that they are all neutered (including the girls) and that they have plenty of space for it to work out properly.

Cheryl

I tried to introduce Amber to Hobbes and Phoebe but it didn't work. There was a fight and Phoebe took off a piece of Ambers ear. I decided to get Amber her own boyfriend instead and have just got her a husbun yesterday.

Back