• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smelly poo and sore bum?

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
My bunny (baby) has severly matted hair and she has been to vets and had some of it clipped and is on baytril twice daily. I have cut her diet down to just hay with a little bit of dried food and veg.

I am also bathing her daily and we are making slow and steady progress. I have noticed though that her bum still looks sore and she appears to not be able to poo easily. She has half normal round poos and the other half of the time it is soft and large (but not like a blackcurrant) This sounds abit gross but when i was cleaning her bum earlier I had to help her to get the poo out.

Not sure how i can change her diet anymore to help. Could it be that she is getting clogged up with all the hair she is trying to get unmatted?

Any suggestions? Also are there any creams i can use to sooth her sore bits that are safe?

Do some bunnies need bathing everyday for all of their life if they cant / wont clean themself?

Hiya,

Your bunny has by the sounds of it sticky bum, take her completely off the dried food and veg and just give her hay for a couple of weeks untill her poo's are normal?

I am assuming you're feeding her mix ie russel rabbit as this almost always causes the problem, when you reintrodue dired food get pellets instead ie science selective, you shouldn't see the problem again.

Try not to bath your bun too much as iot removes the narual oils out of their coat, if you can get some baby wipes and clean the area up with them, although I've had sticky bum in buns and have had to bath them, it's not a good idea to do it everyday. Ask your vet if possible if they could shave the area around the gentitals, bare skin is much easier to clean with wipes then fur.

Hope this helps.
:D

post subject

For sore red areas I use Sudocream (get if from chemists, supermarkets) justuse a sparing amount and that works wonders.

Thanks so much for the advice. The vet tried to shave her last week but her skin and fur is in such bad condition her skin ripped open.

I did wonder about sudocrem - will be off to boots for some in the morning.

I am really trying not to give her hardly any dired food and veg but she loves it so much that i have to give her a little bit! I will try to be v strict! She also has a bunny boyfriend who loves his dried food - so I will look into some seperate feeding time.

Just want to make sure I am doing the best for her.

Thanks again x

Back