• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When do ears lop in a lop?

Mad_cat_rabbit

Warren Scout
Does anyone know when lop eared rabbits actually lop over?

Chicken has parents who are both lops, he's 6 weeks old and only the tips are curling over.

It depends he may not lop, I have buns whose parents are both lops and she has straight ears.

I don't think I helped much sorry :oops:

Hobbes ears didn't lop until he was 6 months old. It was not long after he was neutered. One ear went down first and the other about a month later. His 3 brothers all had lop ears at 8 weeks old but he was a late developer!

When Moonlight and Maya came they were about 6 weeks old. Moonlight had one up and one down. The other lopped about 4 weeks later. Maya's were both up at six weeks but now she has one up and one down. I think they are about 3 months old now, or 4 at the most :? I have lost track :lol: They are certainly a lot bigger :D And even more beautiful :D I would like Maya's other ear to stay up, and I think she would too - she twizzles it about a lot listening to everything, but I think it will lop too :(

it depends really, usually depends on how developed the crown is know they can lop at 6 weeks old and take longer at 8 weeks dillon was a late developer at 12 weeks old.
here he is starting to lop at 6 weeks old
likkleloppy.jpg

chocotterlop4.jpg

and here he is at about 10-12 weeks old
choclop.jpg

This rarther depends on there pedigree, as lots of people who breed for pets are not that fused on the look of there babys. If you are breeding from rabbits that are not pedigree then its hit and miss. With pure breed rabbits such as fairly good typey ones the ears are loped at about three wks, sumtimes a little bit later but should be well loped before 8 wks. val

I want to bunny knap Dylan... he is sooo gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

Only asking as the other bunnies all lopped at different times.

Mischief was fully lopped at 6 weeks old
Harley and Davidson (the kids chose this not me) lopped at the weekend and they are 12 weeks old.
Brownie is also 12 weeks old but has not lopped, or even gone helicopter yet.

So there's some hope for chicken then.

I had a half lop that became a full lop at about 5 years old! She was furious - she liked her standy-up ear, and she used to sit there with her head on one side trying to balance it upright and getting cross if the wind blew it over.

^Aw, bless. Such a cute story!

This is my new Dwarf Lop/English cross, at about 3 weeks and then a week later with semi-floppy ears. She's still with mummy rabbit so I'm not sure what they're like now, a week later, but I guess she's going to have lopped ears.

My other rabbit, Fidget, who is the exact same cross breed, is the complete opposite, all black with big upright ears.

3 weeks
Pie1.jpg

4 weeks
Pie3.jpg

When Blaise came to me he was around 8 weeks, and his ears were partly up. One week later, he had one ear up and one ear down. And then whenhe was around 10 weeks old his ears fully flopped. I think it depends on breed, and size of the rabbit :D

Looking at the piccies of the other 6 week old rabbits on here, Chicken definately looks small for its age.

Farm manager confirmed that the bunny was born the very begining of the last week of the school holidays. As we are now coming up to the end of the 6th week of term, that puts chicken at nearly 7 weeks old. Its absolutely tiny.

OMG I'm in love!! kissing my laptop screen for those ickle wickle rabbit noseys!! am lying on the floor with darcy next to me and he is not impressed!! :lol:

Back