• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I nearly fainted last night

stacy

Warren Scout
I went up into the garden to put Hector and Kitty to bed, and what did I see but a cat sat in the run with them!

I screamed so loudly that my husband thought I'd been attacked! Although Hector and Kitty were a similar size to the cat.

Ordering some new runs today (cat proof ones!)

Has any one known a cat to attack rabbits? I've heard conflicting stories...

Rabbits 2 Cats 0 at our house too (Athena taught the cat not to chase her boyfriend - Zeus is such a wuss)! The neighbour's cat has figured it is much safer to keep out our garden! Now she mainly sits out the front of the neighbours begging for strokes as people pass and the rabbits are in runs to protect the cat ;) !

Caz

Am I right not to worry too much then? I have no doubt that Hector and Kitty would stick up for themselves as they are a feisty pair! I think I scared them more when I screamed!!! And then I subjected them to a nice cuddle and treat (I don't think they enjoyed the cuddle and were relieved to be put back in the hutch!)

Yes maybe the hutches don't need to be to keep cats from getting in and attacking the rabbits maybe they should be cat proof so the cat doesn't get hurt.

Was the cat acually having a go at them or just sitting there? Were the rabbits near it? Did they look scared (or surprised)?

I'll tell you a story about a bunny called Lilly, a collie called Fly and five clucking hens....

My best friend has a bunny called Lilly. Shes a stroppy lop. Lilly lives with some hens, and will often escape the chicken pen and have free run of the garden. Lilly will toment Fly, the collie. Chasing him, and biting him. Its cruel to say but to actually see the tables turn and a bunny chasing a dog is quite funny!!

My friend also used to have a cat, called Chutney. And as soon as Chutney came near Lilly went mad!!

Gracie and animals x

If a cat can get in, a young fox may be able to.

I have heard of young rabbits being injured although fortuntely not too badly by a cat. I guess it depends on what the cat is like.

Janice

I have 5 cats and none of them have ever thought about hurting my bunnys. I have 1 cat who gets upset if I dont let him go in and sit with the rabbits he snuggles up next to them and eats there food I think he thinks he is a rabbit. It so cut :lol:

Most of the cats that come to visit our garden, walk straight past fudge's run as if she's not there, but i've heard her thump before and the cat has gone running!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry to say that yes I have known one cat to kill rabbits .... A long long time ago when I was a teenager :roll: we had a female cat called Skippy and unfortunatley she was a dab hand at killing adult wild rabbits :cry: she used to present them to my Mum very proudly ... and they were big rabbits some would be dragging under her body as she pulled them along :cry: :cry: :cry: She bought us weasels and stoats too, she was quite a hunter :oops:

I think I'm too paranoid because my mum told me that when she was little her rabbit had a litter and she was playing with them in the garden when a cat jumped into the run and grabbed a baby. She gave chase but she never caught it :(

It still makes her feel guilty now, but there was nothing she could do and I would hate that to happen to my buns. I call them my 'children' (much to my husband's amusement)

Yep, it all depends on the cat and as you can't guarentee what visiting cats might be like with rabbits then you need to keep them out. Runs need mesh smaller than an inch and should have a top. You also need to have wood bar or something along the bottom so the mesh can't just be pushed up.

Tam

Our Rabbits love chasing our two Cats! :) Very funny to see! :lol:

On a more serious note there is still the prey/predator issue there and they are never left unsupervised. If one of our Cats got penned in a corner I know they wouldn’t hesitate to strike out.

Louise

My cat will take a swipe at the rabbits if they get in his way (although he is 18 so he doesn't swipe hard and he certainly doesn't run after them!) and when I had a small naive rabbit a long time ago, the cats used to try and chase her. Mostly though, the rabbits chase the cats, when my neighbours moved in, their cat spent most of the first 2 weeks staring out the window into our garden. As soon as he was allowed out, he was straight over the fence and towards the rabbits. My two triangulated on him and got him cornered, it was the funniest thing to watch :lol:

Having said that, you can't be too careful. You never know when a particularly vicious one is going to move in round the corner, or a dog is going to jump the fence, or a fox is going to turn up (I had one turn up and manage to kill one of my bunnies after living here for 7 years and never seeing a fox).

Back