• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help needed hind leg problems

jodi

Young Bun
when i let poppy put this morning her left leg seemed to be a bit stiff an she was carrying it but after about 10mins it seemed to be fine an she was running about like normal i popped her back in to her house an went down at about 6 to let her out for her evening run but now both back legs seem to not be working proply im so worried about her any ideas guy it doesnt seem to be causing her pain as i picked her up to lok at her legss an she didnt flinch or move when i touched them

How old is she, does she live on her own and does she have a single storey or double hustch?

Sorry just so we can get a better picture

she is about three an an half we arent quite sure as she is a rescue bun she lives on her on in a single story massive dog crate she has never been a bun that likes to jump or binky we are on our way to the vets in cov now so hopefully i hall know moew in a while fingers crossed everything will be ok

nemo had similar symtoms just after we adopted him. he lost nearly all use in his back legs. the vet put it down to a back injury but to this day we dont know what caused it . the vet wasnt too optomistic but put him on anti inflamatory a,painkiller and baytril and within a week he was looking better . it took about a month before his symptoms went alltogether but he is now fine . we do have to watch him in cold weather as he stiffens up a bit which is one reason why he s now a house a bun and he still hasnt got full balance when hes grooming the awkward to reach bits.

fingers a paws crossed for your little one x
Angie

I had a similiar problem with a bun about a year ago, she was a stray. One morning I noticed that she seemed very stiff in her back legs, this got worse over the nex week until she was literally dragging her hind legs. On the first visit to the vets said to observe it, then when things got worse she had a course of 3 steroid injections. After the second injection we started to notice signs of improvement which continued until she was back to normal. The vet did question if she had jumped off something and injured her back or whether she had a prolapsed intravertebral disc.

Janice

i got her to the vets by car a friend took us over cause they had heard fantasic things about them they gave her a steriod ingection an a pain killer to see if that helped which it did for a while but has worn off now so back we go for another visit this evening

Back