• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help - large bites

honey

Alpha Buck
i've just found what i can only assume are huge bite marks on guinea one of my girl bunnies. thing is they don't look like bites as they are over an inch square in area but i can't think what else they can be (she lives with 2 other bunnies but there's been no fighting and no fur anywhere in the hutch shed or garden). she's been really quiet for about four days but as she'd just had her jabs i thought it was due to that. i'd checked her teeth (very bad teeth so they're constantly checked) and underneath her (spotless as usual) and she is eating and drinking as normal.

i'm worried because the areas - three that i've counted - are yellow and i'm thinking there's probably a big infection which is why she's been so quiet. she'll be going to the vets tomorrow but is there anything i can do tonight to help? the skin has scabbed over but doesn't look healthy. i don't know what to do for her tonight i feel so bad that i didn't notice before now. i knew she wasn't right but my family always say i worry too much. i should learn that i know them and when somethings wrong but they say i'm paranoid.

should i leave it alone or try to clean it, i don't want to disturb the scab if i shouldn't , any ideas????

Good to go to the vets and check them out - these bunnies can manage a quick tussle when you are not looking and appear to be very bonded and cute when you are nearby!
I should maybe bathe with salt water tonight - can't do any harm and see what vet says. Hope it's OK.

aaaawwww Honey, sorry to hear about Guinea.
I am sure the vet can help sort it out, but in the meantime make a saline solution and bathe the wound twice a day.
Boil some water add a teaspoon of salt and dissolve in the hot water.
use when cool to bathe the wound.

Please let us know what the vet says, I am sure it looks worse than it is.

Best wishes

Are the marks were her jabs were given? Sometimes these can come up with big round scabs or even slight lumps.

It's possible they could be bites another things is should could have a skin problem which has caused them or irritated her enough she's scratched at herself and caught her skin.

Hopefully the vet will be able to shed some light on it for you.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

they're on her hindquarters. over the years i've dealt with the odd bite and they've healed lovely but this looks bad, my first thought was flystrike as area is such a size and the scab so thin but i've had a really close look and it's definitely not. it's how quiet she is that worries me, last week she was digging a burrow the last four days she's hardly left hutch. it's going to be a long night. no point taking her to emergency vet as i haven't found them good in past, their usual answerto everything bunny related seems to be pts :shock: :(

can't sleep and given up trying to. when o/h got in we bathed it and it's worse tan it looked. the thin scab came off to reveal a deep pocket, the skin just lifts off, i find it really hard to look at things like that but managed to see enough that id doesn't look infected just very painful.no wonder she hasn't wanted to run it probably hurts every time she moves. it really doesn't look like a bite but i have no idea what it could be. i'll be so much happier when she's been seen by vet... then i'll get some sleep too...

Hope everything goes ok this morning and you are feeling a little happier later. A little drop of extra vitamin C won't do any harm for a while and may promote skin healing if Guinea is not eating quite so well as usual.

Janice

Sounds as though it could be an abscess as they are deep pockets. They need to heal from the inside out and you have to keep the wound open and clean. If this is what the wound is your vet will be able to advise how to take care of it :D Good luck and I hope that Guinea is okay.

Back