• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spay issue

no! it is probably the best time to do it! when i had my girl bella spayed i was really nervous about getting her neutered because of the anaesthic risk but i am very pleased she has been neutered because when the vet opened her up she had a fairly advanced tumour. most of the bunnies that we get in ARC and are about 2-3 years have got uterine cancer.

is she quite a stroppy bunny? neutering her should help to calm her down.

hope this helps!

sophie

Oh!! I didn't realise she could have that! Yes she is a bit stroppy, she goes out with her pal a neutered male, she is having a phantom pregnancy at the minute!!

there maybe someone on the forum that can recommend a good vet for you to use. for some vets spaying bunnies arent their routine ops, and getting a girl neutered is more indepth that getting a boy neutered.

sophie

THANKS FOR THAT INFO, LAST TIME I GOT MY MALE NEUTERED I FOUND A VET THAT DIDN'T TELL ME I HAD TO STARVE MY BUNNY FOR 12HRS BEFORE!! THEY CAN'T BE SICK SO THERE IS NO NEED!!

I think (hope) Flossie is going through a phantom pregnancy at the minute, I noticed this morning that she had moved all of the hay and a lot of the shavings into her bedroom area in a sort of nesting shape, then this afternoon I caught her pulling off great wedges of fur, she's really going for it! I don't think she can be pregnant, she was only 9 weeks when we had her, and I had Bunny castrated straight away. The vets told me they would be OK together after 2-3 weeks, have since joined this forum and most posts seem to say 6 weeks, so fingers crossed that the vet was right :? He was snipped on 29th June, I first put them together 15/16 July which was 4 weeks ago.

I VERY MUCH DOUBT SHE IS PREGNANT, MY MALE GETS A BIT FRISKY WITH MY FEMALE AND SHE IS PULLING HER FUR OUT LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW ASWELL!!! IT NORMALLY LASTS ABOUT 2WEEKS!! MY MALE IS CASTRATED BY THE WAY!!

I am little worried too, about getting Bindi Spayed. As i know nothing about spaying bunnies any advice would be appreciated.

I know that my vets are forever spaying bunnies. But i want to get clued up on spaying before i ask for her to be spayed.

Do i need to wait until Bindi is 6 months before she is spayed?

I need to starve Bindi for 12 hours, is that right? And of everything?

Do the vets usually use disolvable stitches? When i got my ferrets castrated they stitched them up from the inside so they didn't pull the stitches out. And so they didn't have to be seperated.

Is there something special i need to do for after care? I need to know just incase i am away and my mum needs to look after Bindi. She won't mind but i don't won't her doing something i wouldn't do myself.

Gracie and animals x

6 mounths is best
dont stave buns they need to eat right up to the time of the op peach took a paced lunch with her

and my vet used stiches that disolbed
also ask for some pain relefe to bring home peach was not eating

yas all good vets would not sugest that you stave an rabbit if they do then they are not the right vet to spay a bun

Mope buns can't be sick + MUST eat right up to + after their ops as they have a very sensitive digestive system, which slows up at the slightest stress!! Any vet that tells you to starve your bun, doesn't know buns and I would find a new vet! :)

Thats cool. I just found the spaying section on the rabbit care reference bit. I printed it off so mum could read it too. She s better at taking things in then me, and often noticed something i miss when we go to the vets.

At least i know a little bit more when i ask to get Bindi spayed.

Gracie and animals x

Okay. Mum rang the vets today to ask about spaying Bindi Bunny, the vet says £70. I am not too bothered about price because i know i'll get my moneys worth. I trust my vet. Well, you have to don't you? The vets says that Bindi can be spayed from 4-5 months. All i have read says 6 months, but will the extra month going to make any difference?

Gracie and animals x

hi

I've read that hormones affect bone density and formation, so it's best to wait till they stop growing if possible - 9 months old.

My vets is £70 for a spay too, but that includes a health check appointment and overnight stay if they need it - they won't allow a doe to come home on the day if she's living outside after her spay.

There's no danger of rabbits vomiting food back up because they actually can't be sick. This is why their digestive system is so delicate - if they eat something bad it has to go through the one way.

They definitely have to be fed up til they go in for the op, if a vet tells you otherwise they don't know what they're talking about - and I definitely wouldn't use them!

Anaesthetic is more risky in older rabbits but 2 definitely isn't old!

yep, thats my point. When mum said £70 i thought that wasn't all that bad. I'm not really worried as i said about price, because Bindi would benefit from it in the long run.

Gracie and animals x

Back