• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit not eating

ryanh72

Mama Doe
i currently changed my rabbits food over to supa rabbit excel but 1 rabbit isnt eating it are there any other pelleted foods i can try and if so does anyone know where to get them from cheaper than the shops prices?

my other rabbit just eats anything so if i do change she will still eat the new stuff (shes greedy) but dont tell her i sed that lol she may fall out with me.

pets at home do own brand pellet food, did you introduce it to them gradually or just start giving them it one morning

Try it more slowly. Vets recommend you spend a few weeks changing from one type of food to the next. Plus you might find she gets used to the taste over the longer time period and doesn't notice!

Good luck!

AMETHYST

its been about a week since i started and chicken (my rabbit) just eats it all but i will keep on with elvis tho as he doesnt eat much anyway so he may if i persist.

thanks hope it works as i dont want to be buying two different types of food or changing again.

A lot of rabbits object when they are put on to a complete diet its a protest at not being able to pick the best bits.Ive had lots of rabbits that refused to eat it but as long as they are eating there hay i dont give in and they give up the fight lol.Complete food has a lot less protine and colourings that normal food so is much more gentle on the tummy. I have never had a problem with changing over too it. There are a lot of different makes now of complete pellits, the trouble most people have is finding them. Im lucky that i go to a horse feed place that dos many different kinds of rabbit food so i can get whot i want.The only trouble with a lot of it is it comes in 20kl bags whitch may not be any good for u as it would be too much.I get through19 bags a month with my lot. But if u have friends nearby perhaps u could share a bag.

my dad is asking at the shop wer he get his pigeon feed from as they also stock normal rabbit mix but not pelleted and other kinds of bird food.

he doesnt think they have any but he is going to ask them to order some and see wot they can get.

ive had a couple of sample of science selective and both ate it but this was a while ago nearly a year maybe i went in the pet shop and all they had was excel so i bought that.

I just wrote a similar reply on another thread, anyhoo:
whatever old pellet you are feeding them, you should mix it 50-50 with the pellet you are feeding, or else the rabbit may reject the new pellet and it'll change their stomach condition because they are not used to the new one. (In some cases, I have read, you can kill the rabbit if their stomach doesn't agree with the change of pellet.)

You then mix more of your to less of the older pellet. 70 - 30. Eventually move to 100%.

As to what brand name to buy, make sure whatever brand name it is, the product is Extruded Pellet.

its been well over 10 days now since i introduced the food and my rabbit still isnt eating the supa rabbit excel ive tried hand feeding him it see if he'd take it off me but no luck.

tomorrow im going to try him just on the excel ive not tried this before and hopefully after a couple of days without eatin he may give in to temptation as long as he's got hay, fresh fruit and veg is this ok and hes got the dandelions in the back garden. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine really really love the Science Selective. It's ingredients are pretty much the same as the excel but it has a little more fibre so its better!

Be sure to always introduce new food gradually.

I would't worry too much if one rabbit isn't eating it. This type of food shouldn't be a main source of nutrient anyway - it should just be fed as a supplement. Rabbit's can survive very well on hay and/or fresh grass and water!

Hay is the best thing for them. Make sure it's fresh and that they have plenty of it - it's magic!!

Try a few vegetables and fruit and herbs too, to add variety. Hope this helps.

Hiya, You could try AK Animal Feeds in Atherton, as this is where I buy my Rabbit food from. If they haven't got it they will certainly get it for you they are really good.
Kay

I feed my one w/ Martin Rabbit Food. It's excellent. As it is Extruded Rabbit Food, so it won't swollen inside his stomach if it is mixed w/ water inside his stomach, and it tastes like cookies, very crunchy.

I highly recommend it. Oxbow is also very good, high in fiber, but not as tasty as Martin.

It took quite a few of our ARC bunnies about a month to change over to Oxbow, the important thing I find when changing piggies or rabbits over to any new food, is only to give them the correct weighed out amount they should be getting. If you give them a bowlful each day which is far more than most of them should be getting, you will find it very difficult to change them over.

Janice

Back