• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to handle baby rabbits?

beegirrl

New Kit
Hello
our rabbit, Daisy, gave birth to 4 little rascals not quite two weeks ago, and some of them have just started opening thier eyes!

They're so cute!!!

When is it safe to handle them? As yet they've still not been touched by us at all, and we're dying for a cuddle! Also, the hutch is in a right state now and needs a good clean.

Have we got to wait any longer?

You can and should start to handle them right away, that lets the mom get used to you being able to touch them, and you will have to get in there and clean them some time!
If you are worried about the mother abandoning the babies, you will be fine! If you have built a trust with the mommy then she shouldn't mind at all if you sneak a cuddle in!

Heres them at about two days old

rabbits1.jpg

And heres them now

rabbits2.jpg

We haven't touched them yet 'coz that was the advice that we were given. Its been very hard not to though! Daisy trusts me I think, but not my boyfriend. Would it be ok for him to touch them do you think?

If you rub your hands in the bedding/on mum first she'll be less worried because you don't get your smell on them. They should start leaving the nest and exploring at around 3 weeks and she'll be fine then. You might want to get your boyfriend to wait til then and just you for now. Plus that way you get extra cuddles ;)

Tam

I cleaned Sugars hutch (Well the bedroom bit where the nest was) after three weeks i cleaned the rest out every week like normal, thats about the time i handled them without having to rub my hands in Sugars fur all the time

Back