• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eating stitches after being spayed(sp?)

carina

Young Bun
I took Amber into the vets to be spayed last thursday, the operation went well. I took her home on friday because the vets wanted to keep her in to observe her and check she was well.

Yesterday i noticed a big hole where her stitches were. I took her to the vets today she has pulled out and probably eaten her stitches (as they are not in the cage).
She has to have another op and the vets said there might be internal damage and most definatly infection. She won't be home till friday the earliest, just wondering if you have any adivce or have had any similar experiance.

I hope she is okay.

I hope your bun is OK. As it starts to heal it must be really itchy and lots of animals start to chew! My male bunny did this when I had him neutered (about 7 years ago) and he had to have staples put in. This was before I knew much about rabbit care so I went with what the vet said about giving him a plastic collar to stop him chewing again. Unfortunately the vet didn't tell me that rabbits get stressed very easily and he died a week later :( It was the day his stitches were due out + collar off. I'm convinced it was the stress that killed him, knowing what I know now they are very sensitive animals.

If your vet does give you a collar, make sure she only wears it for short bursts and make sure she keeps eating. Hopefully she will leave them alone, fingers crossed.

Nicola

Oh poor bunny :(

I hope she is ok.

I must admit this is something I am concerned about when we get our girlies done (there not old enough yet, only being 13 wks & 16 wks)
I have read others who have had this problem and although I know it is in the rabbits interest to be spayed as I would hate to have them get Cancer but I do worry what to do if they should pull their stitches out!

I can probably see me spending several nights on the sofa (they sleep downstairs) watching over them :?

Mine did intradermal stitches which they said was so the bunny couldnt eat them. Can they still get to them or do some vets do external stitches?
I hope you bunny recovers quickly and gets home with you soon.

I think some do external too, even with internal ones I think there is still one needed on the outside to be able to close (that's what I had when Pip had her mammary strip removed anyway). I think that if a rabbit is intent on opening it, it will!! I once knew a dog in rescue who obv got very itchy and tore herself open, all her insides were hanging out and it looked as if an axe murderer had been in her kennel! :( Luckily she was ok and was rushed straight to vets for emergency op!

Yep, internal stitches are a good idea. I just had a couple of lumps removed off my rats and they had internal stitches this time. So much easier than trying to stop them nibbling at them. The wounds have healed up nicely.

Your vet could also add glue which helps hold the wound closed.

Tam

Hi there,
My rabbit Bluebell had internal stitches and glue to stick the wound together after being neutered. She did chew the wound a little bit and had to go on antibiotics but it healed up very quickly after that.

My other rabbit (Maisy) had a very nasty injury when Bluebell nearly ripped her vulva off :shock: and she had to wear a collar for nearly a week. The collar had padded edges so it wouldn't rub her ears so much, although as it was on for such a long time her ears were a bit sore. She did get a bit depressed but was on probiotics for 10 days, antibiotics, Metacam etc!! She did get better and is now fine!

all my rabbits have had internal stitches and glue and all have been fine, IMO a rabbit savvy vet wouldnt use external stitches!

Back