• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP

SAR

Young Bun
ON WEDNESDAY I BROUGHT HOME MY TWO BUNNIES, I HAVE BEEN SEEING QUITE A FEW SOFT POOS FROM ONE OF THEM AND THIS MORNING IT WAS WORSE! MOLLY HAS DIARRHOEA - I CLEANED UP HER BUM AS GOOD AS I COULD AND WHILST CLEANING SHE WENT AGAIN.

SHOULD I GO STRAIGHT TO THE VET - I'M REALLY WORRIED AS THESE ARE MY FIRST TWO BUNNIES

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I'm not an expert but I would say take her straight to the vet, it's better to be safe than sorry.

This can be life threatening as they get dehydrated really quickly. Is it really watery and runny?

Hope everything goes well and keep us updated. *hug*

What age is your bun? Has eating/personality changed?

I found this that might help -

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Runny Stool: When Things Go Wrong
# Diarrhea

True diarrhea (unformed, watery feces) is relatively rare in adult rabbits. It can be caused by intestinal parasites, such as coccidia (Eimeria spp.), roundworms, tapeworms, or anything that inflames the intestinal lining. Your rabbit-experienced veterinarian will be able to examine a fecal sample (you should probably provide the vet with a bit both fecal and cecal pellets) to examine them for signs of parasitic infection.

True diarrhea is more common in baby rabbits. One of the most common causes is coccidia, and if you see runny stool in your baby rabbit, you must get him to the vet as soon as possible for treatment. In a baby rabbit, dehydration caused by diarrhea can rapidly result in death. It is wise to consider runny stool in a baby rabbit a true emergency.

# Unformed Cecotropes: Mushy or Runny Stool

The cecum is a delicately balanced ecosystem. If the intestine is moving too slowly, or if the rabbit is getting a diet too rich in digestible carbohydrates and too low in crude fiber, the complex population of bacteria in the cecum can become "unbalanced." This condition, known as CECAL DYSBIOSIS. Simply put, cecal dysbiosis means that the beneficial bacteria (e.g., Bacteroides spp. and a variety of others) are outcompeted and outnumbered by less desirable inhabitants such as yeast (a fungus, usually Saccharomycopsis sp.) or even very harmful bacteria such as Clostridium spp., related to the ones that cause tetanus and botulism.

A rabbit suffering from cecal dysbiosis will produce cecotropes that are mushy, pasty or even liquid. They are usually quite foul-smelling, and often stick to the bunny's back end in great, nasty clumps. These unformed cecotropes are not a primary disease, however. They are a symptom of a disorder somewhere in the bunny's system. In order to cure the runny stool problem, the underlying cause must be addressed.

I think that you should take her to the vet asap to get her checked out. Bunnies digestive tracts are very delicate. Let us know how she gets on.

*give her a snuggle from me too*

MOLLY UPDATE

HIYA

MOLLY IS NOW AT THE VETS AND SHE WILL BE GIVEN ANTIBIOTICS AND FLUID INJECTIONS AND MONITORED OVERNIGHT.

I'M SO UPSET I'VE REALLY BONED WITH BOTH MY BUNNIES IN THE SHORT TIME I'VE HAD THEM. THE VET SAID THEY HAVE A 50/50 CHANCE - I HAVE TO CALL THE VETS AT TEN IN THE MORNING AN UPDATE.

I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVISE

Awwww sorry to hear about your poorly bunster - she's in good hands and good to know she will be monitored overnight.

Try not to worry we all know how upsetting these things can be but you did a brill job in getting to the Vets quickly for fluids etc so don't get wearing the carpet out overnight.

Kept us posted were all rooting for your little bunny.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all your support.

Been looking at Honey all day and at least she is ok - seems a little lost without Molly, but eating and drinking as normal.

Cannot wait until tomorrow when we can hopfully bring her home. Its so horrible!

Thanks again

Sar

Sorry to hear about your poorly bunny. At least you got her there quickly, so they should be able to maker her all better.
Thinking of you.

Back