• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering keep un together....?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi i have just booked in my 3 buck to have there castration done, my question is they all live together and wondered if i cam put them back in together to recover?

what do you think?

and i have having one of my adult does done as well when can i put her with a partner after her operation?

If the boys don't fight, then I'd put them back in together. If they come round feeling grumpy then you'll want to keep them apart. I've always put my buns back together straight away, and just kept an eye on them to make sure there's no fighting or boisterous playing.

If they are used to each other and therefore unlikely to fight, then, I think you can put them back together almost immediately. I kept my doe away from her partner overnight until I was happy that she was eating and pooping ok but I put her back with him the next day.

You can in theory put the male in with the female soon after being neutered as she is not a 'whole' rabbit, however do be careful as your males who are neutered on the same day will have normal testosterone blood levels. These will only drop slowly after neutering and these male rabbits will still try to mate with your female rabbits for weeks after the testicles are removed. Your girl who has been neutered the same day as them may be feeling sore for a little while and may not appreciate the attention your boys may wish to give her.

I would not try to bond her to a new companion for several weeks, as she will have internal healing to do as well as the external wound. And even after that she will have a bare tummy and so greater than usual care will need to be taken until the fur has come back if the bonding looks to be one where fighting is a possibility.

If she is going back to a previous companion she should be able to go straight back in unless he looks as if he will feel the need to hump her :oops:

to be honest he is not really a new companion, but i have put off putting them together until i had her done because of the spliting them up so she could have the op done, if u know what i mean.

they are really cosy together but sometimes she likes to remind him whos boss, so wondered when would it be safe to put them together after, how long is it before she is healed?

Back