• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing one half of a bonded pair

binkygirl2013

Young Bun
Hi everyone, as per the title, I lost my lovely boy Oscar on Friday. He was almost 10 years old and had been with his wife bun Roxy for 9 years. One of the worst parts of it all for me is seeing Roxy on her own. She seems fine in herself at the minute, she's eating well and hopping about but I hate the thought of her being alone when I'm not with her. She's an indoor bun but I cant be with her 24/7. She's almost 10 years old and other than a touch of arthritis, is in pretty good shape for her age....if she was younger or if I had a guarantee she would live another 2 or 3 year, I wouldn't hesitate to adopt another husbun for her but part of me wonders whether it is worth it given her age and the stress involved in bonding and also how unfair it would be for the new bun to have an older partner who being realistic, probably doesn't have years ahead of them. I'm sure there are many on this forum that have been in this position many times and just wondered if there was any advice on how to help a bereaved bun....

I'm so sorry you have lost Oscar.
I have no real advice but I have 2 12 year old bunnies Daisy and Harry. Both elderly now, especially Daisy who has limited mobility. I keep thinking the same as you but I don't think get another one as I'm.sure once one of our passes on the other won't be far behind. They are both house bunnies too.
When we adopted Harry we had an old 11 year old called Rosie who died not long after Harry arrived. He was too much for her, bouncing everywhere, she sat chilled in her corner just watching him, I can see her now sat there as if to say 'who on earth is this crazy rabbit!' bless her

I am sorry for your recent loss :cry: If you contact a local Rescue they might have a Rabbit that you could long term Foster who could be a companion for Roxy.Maybe a very elderly Rabbit they are struggling to permanently re home. Then when Roxy’s time comes there would be the option of the Rescue either taking the Foster back, or if like me you couldn’t part with him/her having had him/her with you for a time, the Rescue could help with bonding to another of their Rabbits with a view to a full adoption of both.

Hope all of that makes sense !

Thanks for replying :) I did have a brief look on a couple of rescue websites and they didn't appear to have any older buns and I think a young bouncy bunny would drive Roxy crazy. She is quite fiesty and Oscar was the 2nd bun I tried to bond her with. The 1st boy she hated and I had to return him to the rescue. Although I think she has mellowed slightly in her old age, I'd worry how she'd react to another bun after 9 years with Oscar. I suppose all I can do is keep an eye on her and see how she copes, she does seem to be ok at the minute and spends a lot of time snoozing anyway, I just wish she had a snuggle buddy to snooze with :(

Back