• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cone:ing It

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
So the vet had just put a cone on my little Pepper Bun (we suspect she’s over-grooming her lady area) and I’ve never had to deal with that before.

Can they still eat with that on? He wants her to have it on for a week (I can’t see that happening) and I’m worried she won’t be able to eat or drink...

Has anyone had a bunny with a cone?

I've had a bun wear one for a couple of days before, he could still eat and drink from a shallow dish but he couldn't eat his ceacotrophs and ended up with them smushed all over the cone! He moved around fine though, I'd imagine some bunnies wouldn't cope with them all, how does she seem with it on? You can buy soft fabric ones for rabbits or the medical pet shirts might beore suitable? Your vet may be able to order one in if they don't stock the rabbit ones?

A shallow dish seems like a great idea, thanks!

She’s confused and has tried to run away from it :(

She’s a very active bun so I’m worried about climbing and jumping.

I’m going to look for fabric cone now - thanxx for your suggestions!

So the vet had just put a cone on my little Pepper Bun (we suspect she’s over-grooming her lady area) and I’ve never had to deal with that before.

Can they still eat with that on? He wants her to have it on for a week (I can’t see that happening) and I’m worried she won’t be able to eat or drink...

Has anyone had a bunny with a cone?

Personally I would not agree to my Rabbits wearing a cone, not only is eating and drinking something they may be unable/unwilling to do (resulting in gut slow down) but they also cant eat their cecals. I guess I am lucky in that I have always found ways around having to resort to using a cone.

I assume that the Vet has investigated why Pepper is over-grooming her 'lady area' ?

Personally I would not agree to my Rabbits wearing a cone, not only is eating and drinking something they may be unable/unwilling to do (resulting in gut slow down) but they also cant eat their cecals. I guess I am lucky in that I have always found ways around having to resort to using a cone.

I assume that the Vet has investigated why Pepper is over-grooming her 'lady area' ?

Well, yes and no.

Pepper has had several issues with leaking since December and has been on several courses of antibiotics (some shorter, some longer).

Initially I believed her to have a UTI.

Blood test has been done as well as several urine tests, all coming back fine.

We’ve swapped over to low calcium veg and she has low calcium bottled water (Volvic). We bought a water fountain to encourage extra drinking (she has a bowl).

She has been doing really well and she was booked in for her vacc today (the vet didn’t want to do it when she was poorly). She’s been eating well, toileting well, playing and jumping, and I felt confident she was feeling well.

However, this morning, she lifted her bum slightly when she went in her tray (this to me is a sign that she’s uncomfortable again) and she leaked all over the blanket in the carrier.

We’ve never seen this particular vet before (new member of staff), but I explained the back story and made sure he read her notes.

One of the problems seems to be with her vent; it hasn’t healed properly in all this time. I’m wondering if she might be overgrooming herself and keeps irritating it. He took her out the back to clip the area (I think the fur irritates the sore part on her vent) and when he brought her back out, she had the cone on. He said 3-5 days would be ok, but ideally 7 days with it on so she can’t groom the area.

He’s given her Baytril and Metacam for one week, and I’ve booked her another check up.

Coming home, I’m feeling anxious about her eating and drinking with the cone on. Thankfully, both OH and I have a few days off work so we can be with her to see how it goes.

Sorry Pepper is being a worry. When I had Norma spayed the Vets suggested she wear a Babygro but as I have never had a problem with spays before I declined. Perhaps a Babygro might be a better way.

Sorry Pepper is being a worry. When I had Norma spayed the Vets suggested she wear a Babygro but as I have never had a problem with spays before I declined. Perhaps a Babygro might be a better way.

Though wouldn’t that keep the area damp if she’s leaking? Can they still toilet? x

Well, yes and no.

Pepper has had several issues with leaking since December and has been on several courses of antibiotics (some shorter, some longer).

Initially I believed her to have a UTI.

Blood test has been done as well as several urine tests, all coming back fine.

We’ve swapped over to low calcium veg and she has low calcium bottled water (Volvic). We bought a water fountain to encourage extra drinking (she has a bowl).

She has been doing really well and she was booked in for her vacc today (the vet didn’t want to do it when she was poorly). She’s been eating well, toileting well, playing and jumping, and I felt confident she was feeling well.

However, this morning, she lifted her bum slightly when she went in her tray (this to me is a sign that she’s uncomfortable again) and she leaked all over the blanket in the carrier.

We’ve never seen this particular vet before (new member of staff), but I explained the back story and made sure he read her notes.

One of the problems seems to be with her vent; it hasn’t healed properly in all this time. I’m wondering if she might be overgrooming herself and keeps irritating it. He took her out the back to clip the area (I think the fur irritates the sore part on her vent) and when he brought her back out, she had the cone on. He said 3-5 days would be ok, but ideally 7 days with it on so she can’t groom the area.

He’s given her Baytril and Metacam for one week, and I’ve booked her another check up.

Coming home, I’m feeling anxious about her eating and drinking with the cone on. Thankfully, both OH and I have a few days off work so we can be with her to see how it goes.

Has she had an abdominal Xray to check her bladder for sludge/stones ? That would be my next request if not. I am a bit confused as to why the Vet thinks overgrooming is causing her soreness rather than soreness being a symptom of her episodes of incontinence :? Also, if she gets in a mess with her cecals (because she cant get to her bum to eat them) that will surely make her sore skin worse :? You will need to try to retrieve at least a few cecals that she passes and feed them to her, especially as she's on abx.

Poor girlie, I really hope she'll feel more comfortable soon and that she wont get too distressed by the cone.

We haven’t done an X-Ray yet, but I agree that needs to be the next step. The urine samples showed no signs of sludge and there hasn’t been any for crystals for months.

I genuinely believed we’d turned a corner :(

If a vet suggested that one of mine wore a cone I'm sure my face would be a picture!

If she's irritated down there, has she been given a cream?

Can you speak to one of her usual vets and get a quick second opinion on the cone and alternatives?

I have taken the cone off... She was so scared and wouldn’t cone out from under the bed (several hours). Since it’s come off, she’s drunk water, had some hay and been to her tray.

She’s had Isthal (?), which worked well. I’ve tried Sudo Crem (didn’t work so well), I’ve tried TeaTree cream for small pets (didn’t do anything). I wash gently with Hibiscrub which works well, but Leucillin works better.

If she was human, I’d say her pelvic floor is weak but I don’t know if that’s a ‘thing’ for rabbits?

Does she drink well? I wonder if her urine would irritate less if it was more diluted.
Others on ru would know if rabbits can get yeast infections.

Does she drink well? I wonder if her urine would irritate less if it was more diluted.
Others on ru would know if rabbits can get yeast infections.

She’s not a great drinker, to be honest. We’ve bought a fun fountain to encourage more drinking and last night we added a second bowl (she has a bowl as well as her fountain) and she drank out of that - she’s a curious little thing so anything different and new gets explored. We rinse her low-calcium veg in water and she likes her pellets to be mush, so we mash with warm water.

The stress of yesterday has made us all a little subdued today and her poops are very small today, but we’re encouraging more hay and sprinkles (dried forage) x

I have taken the cone off... She was so scared and wouldn’t cone out from under the bed (several hours). Since it’s come off, she’s drunk water, had some hay and been to her tray.

She’s had Isthal (?), which worked well. I’ve tried Sudo Crem (didn’t work so well), I’ve tried TeaTree cream for small pets (didn’t do anything). I wash gently with Hibiscrub which works well, but Leucillin works better.

If she was human, I’d say her pelvic floor is weak but I don’t know if that’s a ‘thing’ for rabbits?

Good decision, IMO.

How old is Pepper now ?

She’s 3 x

Do you know when she was spayed ? Sorry, I cant remember if you have had her since she was a baby ?

I think bladder sludge is more likely to be an issue than any 'gynae' type problems.

Has she been treated for EC ? I am assuming the blood test did not include testing for EC ? A 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) may be something to ask the Vet about.

Do you know when she was spayed ? Sorry, I cant remember if you have had her since she was a baby ?

I think bladder sludge is more likely to be an issue than any 'gynae' type problems.

Has she been treated for EC ? I am assuming the blood test did not include testing for EC ? A 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) may be something to ask the Vet about.

Yes, I’ve had her since she was a baby and she was spayed.

Can they have EC without head tilt? I know it can be ‘in’ them, but can it be EC without tilting? We’ve done Panacur before but it was over a year ago (she’s an indoor bun).

Can they have EC without head tilt? I know it can be ‘in’ them, but can it be EC without tilting? We’ve done Panacur before but it was over a year ago (she’s an indoor bun).

I'm pretty sure they can have EC but the symptoms depend on which organs its affected, so if its brain likely to get head tilt

I hope you can get pepper sorted,. she sounds a lovely character

I'm pretty sure they can have EC but the symptoms depend on which organs its affected, so if its brain likely to get head tilt

I hope you can get pepper sorted,. she sounds a lovely character

She is :) She’s feisty x

We’re going back to Vets on Weds so I’ll ask about treatment for EC then

Head Tilt is just one of many clinical symptoms of EC.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

That said I still have a feeling bladder sludge may be what is causing Pepper's symptoms.

Back