• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam leaked and I think he's in pain. What can i do?

Leannean27

Alpha Buck
Ralph was neutered today and I collected him a few hours later. I was given a little pot of metacam to give to him tomorrow but it's leaked everywhere so I may have only one dose for the morning until I go and get some more

Is metacam for pain or just an anti inflammatory? He was hunched over grinding his teeth a moment ago. He has eaten some pellets and is drinking and has pooped but he just seems in pain, is there anything I can do to ease his discomfort or do I need to go to emergency vets or anything?

Ralph was neutered today and I collected him a few hours later. I was given a little pot of metacam to give to him tomorrow but it's leaked everywhere so I may have only one dose for the morning until I go and get some more

Is metacam for pain or just an anti inflammatory? He was hunched over grinding his teeth a moment ago. He has eaten some pellets and is drinking and has pooped but he just seems in pain, is there anything I can do to ease his discomfort or do I need to go to emergency vets or anything?

Poor Ralph, I wouldn't worry about the leakage, I'd just get some more. When did they say to give him some, tomorrow morning?

I'd be concerned if he seems in pain, and would definitely go to a vet to make sure he is okay, also wouldn't give him any metacam as you don't know what they gave earlier.

It's an anti inflammatory and pain killer I think - a bit like ibuprofen for us I think?

It's great he's pooped that's always my worry but if he seems in pain I'd definitely get him to a vet xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hi there :wave:

You're having a time of it recently!

As Grace has said, Metacam is like an NSAID (Ibuprofen) a pain killer and also an anti-inflammatory.

Many vets don't give any pain relief (ongoing at home) for buck castrates, so chances are he will be OK.

What did the vet say about how long the pain relief they have already given him will last and when to begin the Metacam?

I should give the appropriate dose and then see how he is tomorrow. If he's eaten and pooped then I am less worried than if he hadn't.

She said he'd had an injection today so to start giving it tomorrow, 3 x 0.3ml doses however the bottle says only ONCE per day so I need to query that too. My own fault I had to park on double yellows and was worried about traffic wardens :(

He's now looking like he's pulling at something, stitches maybe and pushing his belly onto the cold floor? He's really wet down there he's licking it so much poor thing.

Yes MM - reminds me of all the attention these fragile fluff balls need on a daily basis!

I hope your rabbit will be ok. They do sometimes wash themselves a bit after a neuter but it is usually ok. Is he eating?

She said he'd had an injection today so to start giving it tomorrow, 3 x 0.3ml doses however the bottle says only ONCE per day so I need to query that too. My own fault I had to park on double yellows and was worried about traffic wardens :(

He's now looking like he's pulling at something, stitches maybe and pushing his belly onto the cold floor? He's really wet down there he's licking it so much poor thing.

Yes MM - reminds me of all the attention these fragile fluff balls need on a daily basis!

OK, poor wee lad. He will probably be OK. Have you any herbs or freshly picked grass to distract him and make him a bit happier?

Vets usually give a painkiller injection after the neuter, and as the vet advised he wouldn't need any oral painkillers until tomorrow I think he'll be covered painkiller wise for tonight. Keep temping him with his favourite treats and get some more metacam from the vet tomorrow :) Unless you've opened it, it sounds like the vet/nurse didn't close the container properly so hopefully they don't try charge you for it

Sending you and your bunny some positive vibes. I took Raven and Gemini to the vets the same day for their neuter and both got Medicam for home use.

he may feel pretty groggy, I know Snoopy sat there grinding his teeth wobbling around like he had too much to drink :lol: Orion however acted like nothing had happened, just a bit sleepy. it depends, Snoopy was shaved & had everything removed, Orion just had the contents removed if that makes sense. he bounced back a lot quicker, you did notice he wasn't as comfy when in the mornings though.

do make sure to get some pain killer asap.. it may not even have leaked, they give such small amounts that it spills and they don't give the correct amount. Orion's bottle they sent home didnt even have enough for one dose, let alone the 3 days worth he should have had. I stole some from Luna's bottle being on metacam herself.

I find it odd they don't send home bucks with painkillers after neuter.. it has to be a bit uncomfortable (and I feel thats an understatement) for a few days :? I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have some for a couple of days at least.

Well he seems a little happier today although he was more interested in cleaning down there than his pellets this morning and I had to remind him they were there. I gave him his favourite green oat hay yesterday to cheer him up which he ate straight away, at least his eating and drinking hasn't been affected.

Metacam defo split, I don't believe the bottle was done up properly, it's gone all over the bottle, can see it over the label, the syringe label and inside the plastic bag. He's had a dose this morning but I struggled to get the amount so mother in law is going to pick some up for me and drop it off on the way through and they are giving me another 2 doses worth free of charge so at least they've been good with that

Thanks for the reassurance through everyone. Definitely settled some of the pesky nerves

I'm glad to read that he's improved this morning :D I hope he starts to leave his stitches alone. What a faff with the Metacam, but good that your MIL can help out.

Sending vibes for him. It's really so good that he's eating fine.

Well he seems a little happier today although he was more interested in cleaning down there than his pellets this morning and I had to remind him they were there. I gave him his favourite green oat hay yesterday to cheer him up which he ate straight away, at least his eating and drinking hasn't been affected.

Metacam defo split, I don't believe the bottle was done up properly, it's gone all over the bottle, can see it over the label, the syringe label and inside the plastic bag. He's had a dose this morning but I struggled to get the amount so mother in law is going to pick some up for me and drop it off on the way through and they are giving me another 2 doses worth free of charge so at least they've been good with that

Thanks for the reassurance through everyone. Definitely settled some of the pesky nerves

Good to hear that the little man is doing OK :)

I'm glad they topped up the Metacam for you for free (so they should!) and I hope it does the trick x

I'm so glad :) xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I am glad your little man got more meds and he is eating and drinking. Sending you more positive vibes that he will continue to improve. You may want to check the incisions a couple times a day to make sure it is healing.

In regards to the quantity dispensed; I agree with Binky that sometimes it is not enough to give the number of doses they say. It may not because they give you less than noted; but some medication often stick to the inside of the bottle or the outside of the syringe--plus most syringes are calibrated so a small amount remains inside the tip of the syringe after use. This means that the bunny gets the correct amount; but these little amounts left in the syringe tip can add up so you do not have enough for the number of days/doses you may need.

You are fortunate your mother in law was kind enough to pick up additional meds for you to give your little man.

Hello :wave: Thanks for vibes, I feel loved :lol: Ralph went in for a check up today. She said his right sac was still quite swollen so as I hadn't given his Metacam she gave him another injection instead and told me to continue with Metacam I had left so another two days so yes he's good thank you and acting himself again now though he's still licking down there!

Hello :wave: Thanks for vibes, I feel loved :lol: Ralph went in for a check up today. She said his right sac was still quite swollen so as I hadn't given his Metacam she gave him another injection instead and told me to continue with Metacam I had left so another two days so yes he's good thank you and acting himself again now though he's still licking down there!

I hope the swelling goes down soon.
I've had this in bunnies, and it can be painful for them, but there's ways of helping if it doesn't settle son :)

Back