• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth again

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Well Jimmy had his dental 2 weeks ago and for a week he was perfect, now I can see he is starting to do the fussy food thing again and he's starting to move his mouth around now and again . I can see where this is going, In a couple of weeks maybe sooner we will be back to square 1.how can I afford £150 every month, he is insured by petplan but I am sure they won't help me out. I could afford it no problem if I didn't have to pay 150 a month for my dogs medication. I always put my pets first I never have anything for myself which I don't mind, but if this is ongoing I don't know how I will cope. Whats going on with him. He doesn't eat much hay which I have tried every kind and every brand. Am I doing something wrong as when he was in the rescue he didn't have this problem, is there something I should be doing or is it something i am doing wrong. I feel disheartened [emoji46]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry to hear that Jimmy might have dental problems again. I can really empathise with this, as both my bridge bun Toffee, and to a lesser extent his sister Treacle, have had dental issues which required vet treatment. Is your vet rabbit savvy, do they have a lot of experience of doing dentals. The practice I use, now have a new vet who is much more experienced in this procedure, and Treacle can now go for 6 months. Have you tried Jimmy on readigrass ? this tends to be softer than most hays, and most bunnies find it really palatable. I'm sure many others with dental bunny experience will be along with more advice. Good luck, I know how worrying it can be.

I'm sorry to read this. As you know the fact that he doesn't eat much hay is not helping the situation. I, too, would try him on Readigrass. Also will he eat freshy cut grass from the garden? Have you tried these hay cake things? I haven't but he might like them. Failing that, I would try getting some strongly-flavoured dried forage such as Marigold and mixing it quite freely in the hay to see if that will tempt him.

Have you enquired exactly what his diet was in the rescue? Did he ever eat hay there?

If necessary I think you will need to reduce or eliminate pellets from his diet to encourage him to eat hay. I know that daphnephoebe has done this.

Well Jimmy had his dental 2 weeks ago and for a week he was perfect, now I can see he is starting to do the fussy food thing again and he's starting to move his mouth around now and again . I can see where this is going, In a couple of weeks maybe sooner we will be back to square 1.how can I afford £150 every month, he is insured by petplan but I am sure they won't help me out. I could afford it no problem if I didn't have to pay 150 a month for my dogs medication. I always put my pets first I never have anything for myself which I don't mind, but if this is ongoing I don't know how I will cope. Whats going on with him. He doesn't eat much hay which I have tried every kind and every brand. Am I doing something wrong as when he was in the rescue he didn't have this problem, is there something I should be doing or is it something i am doing wrong. I feel disheartened [emoji46]

When you say he was perfect for a week, do you mean he was eating hay OK?

Do you get your medications from the vets as I have found it much much cheaper online?

Hope you find a solution to Jimmy's poor mouth

When you say he was perfect for a week, do you mean he was eating hay OK?
No he has never been fussed on hay he was taking treats and eating his pellets and herbs without flinching. He's not flinching now either but he was reluctant to eat his pellets this morning and he's moving his mouth around like grinding (could be happy grinding) and he is wanting more cuddles again. The thing is they moved into the new shed at the same time as his teeth were done and its hard to tell if he was acting different because he was investigating and everything was new and now he is settled he is back to being a mammy's boy.hes always been difficult to read [emoji4]

Do you get your medications from the vets as I have found it much much cheaper online?

Hope you find a solution to Jimmy's poor mouth
I get it from the vets, how do you go about getting it online. Does it offend the vets lol. My dog has so many problems from bladder to allergies, heart murmur and arthritis,so cheaper meds would be a godsend. I cancelled her insurance because it was so expensive because of the amount I claimed..

I'm sorry to read this. As you know the fact that he doesn't eat much hay is not helping the situation. I, too, would try him on Readigrass. Also will he eat freshy cut grass from the garden? Have you tried these hay cake things? I haven't but he might like them. Failing that, I would try getting some strongly-flavoured dried forage such as Marigold and mixing it quite freely in the hay to see if that will tempt him.

Have you enquired exactly what his diet was in the rescue? Did he ever eat hay there?

If necessary I think you will need to reduce or eliminate pellets from his diet to encourage him to eat hay. I know that daphnephoebe has done this.
That's my thought process. I think maybe he just ate hay and nothing else in the rescue maybe this is why he probably had no issues. He prob had no choice but to eat it.I have added Marigold, rose petals and Plantain and the crafty so and so spends ages picking out the peices. Honestly he's a nightmare. Readigrass he does eat because I mix it with the hay and he also picks this out. I could feed him all readigrass but some people say its fine to do this and others say it isn't..if you could see the amount of different hays I have it's unbelievable.

I get it from the vets, how do you go about getting it online. Does it offend the vets lol. My dog has so many problems from bladder to allergies, heart murmur and arthritis,so cheaper meds would be a godsend. I cancelled her insurance because it was so expensive because of the amount I claimed..

Your vet may be willing (should be willing) to write a prescription so that you can get cheaper meds online - the vet is likely to charge for this but it could well pan out alot cheaper.

I'm sorry the dental probs are rearing their ugly head again & so soon. I had a similar panic realising I had a dental bun who would need a GA every 6 weeks. Were xrays taken, really skulll radigraphs are needed to thoroughly assess Jimmys teeth. Some rabbits are reluctant hay eaters, others simply can't because of tooth root problems.

Will Jimmy eat brambles?

Your vet may be willing (should be willing) to write a prescription so that you can get cheaper meds online - the vet is likely to charge for this but it could well pan out alot cheaper.

I'm sorry the dental probs are rearing their ugly head again & so soon. I had a similar panic realising I had a dental bun who would need a GA every 6 weeks. Were xrays taken, really skulll radigraphs are needed to thoroughly assess Jimmys teeth. Some rabbits are reluctant hay eaters, others simply can't because of tooth root problems.

Will Jimmy eat brambles?
He loves brambles and I am fortunate enough to have a bramble Bush on my doorstep although I have taken all the leaves off it. Can they eat the twigs(ouch). Next time he has a dental I will ask for him to have X-ray's. The spurs he had apparently we're not bad at all and the vet said it wouldn't bother most rabbits, Jimmy is just more sensitive to it. Norah his wife has a constant blocked tear duct because of her teeth roots but it is manageable by daily bathes and doesn't bother her at all, she constantly eats hay and any kind of hay. I have just put a load of oat hay right next to where he is sitting and he is pushing it away strand by strand. [emoji849].

No he has never been fussed on hay he was taking treats and eating his pellets and herbs without flinching. He's not flinching now either but he was reluctant to eat his pellets this morning and he's moving his mouth around like grinding (could be happy grinding) and he is wanting more cuddles again. The thing is they moved into the new shed at the same time as his teeth were done and its hard to tell if he was acting different because he was investigating and everything was new and now he is settled he is back to being a mammy's boy.hes always been difficult to read [emoji4]

If he's never been a good hay eater then it's understandable that he's not going to change greatly.

I'm sorry it's still a worry for you. I should get the vet to look inside his mouth. It's possible there's a cheek ulcer or something there that's irritating him. May be easily fixable - not necessarily another dental. Could be antibiotics are needed.

If he's never been a good hay eater then it's understandable that he's not going to change greatly.

I'm sorry it's still a worry for you. I should get the vet to look inside his mouth. It's possible there's a cheek ulcer or something there that's irritating him. May be easily fixable - not necessarily another dental. Could be antibiotics are needed.
Sounds like a good idea. I only knew it was time for the dental last time when I saw the drooling and red chin. We have none of that as yet so I'm hoping it's just paranoid old me looking and waiting for something.. I so wish they could talk and tell us. , actually no I don't,i think I wouldn't gets a minutes peace.

Sounds like a good idea. I only knew it was time for the dental last time when I saw the drooling and red chin. We have none of that as yet so I'm hoping it's just paranoid old me looking and waiting for something.. I so wish they could talk and tell us. , actually no I don't,i think I wouldn't gets a minutes peace.

:) I'm glad you can smile still ... hopefully! x

Will Jimmy eat brambles?

I agree with J+B re skull radiographs, hopefully the Vet will do them when Jimmy has his next GA/Dental.

If you feel along Jimmy's jawline does it feel at 'lumpy' ?

In terms of hay eating I greatly reduced pellet and fresh food intake to boost mine eating hay.
They're now pellet free but for long time they just got 5 pellets each and a handful of veg between them. Doing this meant they had to up the hay intake or go hungry.

Xray are a brilliant idea.

In terms of Petplan you can ask your vets to put in a claim for his last dental. This way you'll know if it's something they'll be able to cover for him or not and if you can put in a claim each time.
They do pay for my girls dentals, but obviously his situation may be different.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with J+B re skull radiographs, hopefully the Vet will do them when Jimmy has his next GA/Dental.

If you feel along Jimmy's jawline does it feel at 'lumpy' ?
No it is nice and smooth. I am taking him back on Monday to see what they say. If there is a problem underlying how do they fix It. I know it might not be the case but just wondering

No it is nice and smooth. I am taking him back on Monday to see what they say. If there is a problem underlying how do they fix It. I know it might not be the case but just wondering

I think it's best to wait til you establish exactly what is going on for Jimmy :) Whilst some Dental problems may not be 'curable' they can be manageable and they dont always involve a huge financial outlay on an ongoing basis :)

I think it's best to wait til you establish exactly what is going on for Jimmy :) Whilst some Dental problems may not be 'curable' they can be manageable and they dont always involve a huge financial outlay on an ongoing basis :)
Thank you. I think maybe the next step will be cutting his pellets out. It seems odd how he is one year old, I rescued him in June and he didn't need his dental till January. Makes me wonder if it is something I am doing wrong. I guess time will tell. He is still eating at the minute and seems fine but I know it is starting up again because he's starting to be picky. Thanks for all the advice

Hi, really sorry to hear about Jimmy's problems. Have you tried dried forage like thistle, plantain/ribwort, dandelion, roots, dried blossoms etc? Mine get at least 2 handfuls per bun per day mixed in with hay, readigrass & green oat hay. I find they tend to eat more hay if I mix other forage in with it. Zooplus do some for ok prices, but Galen's garden & ratrations have a much wider (& more expensive) selection. I think the toughness of things like thistle is good for dental wear.

Cool name btw, my new bun is called Jim :)

Back