• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing weight & regular dental work

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hello all!

So little Flo has got me worried (again!).
So she has been losing weight and now at about 2.1kgs, she should be more like 2.4kgs. The vet said to increase her pellets which I have done (massively!), been eating them well still pooing normally etc. I've also been feeding her and Tubsy separate so I know she definitely gets all her food. However she hasn't put on any weight but not losing any. Thinking worms? She had panacur 9 day lot in November should I worm her again?

Also, she had her 2nd ever dental back just before Christmas, and the vet said to get rechecked in 4 months. However now she is dribbling again so having to take her back :( does anyone else have to take their bunnies for regular dentals?

Thank you!!

My bridge bun, Toffee, was lucky to go 7-8 weeks between dentals. Not sure about worms though. I hope you can get Flo sorted out sooon, sending her lots of vibes xx

Hello all!

So she has been losing weight and now at about 2.1kgs, she should be more like 2.4kgs. The vet said to increase her pellets which I have done (massively!), been eating them well still pooing normally etc. I've also been feeding her and Tubsy separate so I know she definitely gets all her food. However she hasn't put on any weight but not losing any. Thinking worms? She had panacur 9 day lot in November should I worm her again?

Also, she had her 2nd ever dental back just before Christmas, and the vet said to get rechecked in 4 months. However now she is dribbling again so having to take her back :( does anyone else have to take their bunnies for regular dentals?

Thank you!!

Did the Vet comment on the exact nature of Flo's Dental problems ? Is her mandible lumpy at all and/or does she have runny eyes ? Is she sneezing ? Is she eating any hay now that you have been advised to feed her a lot of pellets ?

I have yet to find a Rabbit who had intestinal worms that caused clinical symptoms, but you could ask the Vet if worming Flo again would be a good idea.

You may have already seen these links, but I'll post them again just incase:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/D_problems1.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nem_gen/Nematodes.htm

Thank you!
No runny eyes, no sneezing. She just had a few long spurs one of which caused an ulcer on her tongue.
Still eating hay like a champ.

Thanks, I'll ask the vet when I take her for a check up!

Hello all!

Thank you!!

Poor lass :cry:

Sadly, regular dentals seem such a common thing with rabbits, it's a shame. All those GAs are not too good for them.

I wouldn't think it was worms, especially when you've given her Panacur already. The dribbling certainly seems to indicate dental issues, though I would probably want a blood test to exclude any other cause of losing weight.

Been to vets today as Tubsy had a sore eye - which turned out to be a big corneal ulcer :(

Got the vet to check Flos teeth, there's some slight spurring but nothing too concerning. They are both going back on Wednesday to see the exotic savvy vet to see what she recommends and to check Tubsys eye is improving. We checked Flos weight and it's actually 2.29kgs now so she's put on around 10% of her body weight in 2 months! They said she's quite a lean rabbit could do with putting on another 100g at least but not concerned. Think Tubsy must have been pinching all her food! Also going to try meadow/Timothy hay with long fibres to see if that helps her eating.

Back