• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor AND Outdoor?!

I have recently gotten a 4 month old lionhead rabbit. Our flat is very small with not enough space for a big indoor cage, so we have her set up with a hutch outside. I've lined the hutch with loft insulation and a shower curtain to keep the rain and elements out as best as possible.

When I'm in from 6-10pm during the week and all day at the weekends I bring the bun in to run around and play. We've bonded very well and she loves cuddles and being stroked. I have plans to adopt a friend for her ASAP so she has bunny company also. She seems to enjoy running around in the kitchen and exploring. Right before bed I take her back out to her hutch for bed time, and in the morning when I go to spot clean and bring her back into the flat she always seems happy, and is usually fishing around her hay rack stuffing her face with hay and veg!

So my question is, she seems to spend half her time inside and half outside. I read somewhere that the shock of being taken outside can be very harmful but she seems to be adapted to her routine and never seems cold/miserable and seems equally content running about in her outdoor and indoor homes. Will she be okay to continue with this routine?

(I let her sleep inside if it gets below freezing outside just to make sure she's okay, but without an indoor cage this isn't really realistic long-term.)

thanks!

Personally I've never had a rabbit that is a mixture of indoor/outdoor, because of the reasons you mention. My indoor rabbit doesn't have a cage, the indoor cages are usually very small anyway. He has his own rabbit proof room. Maybe you could have your bunny as a full time house rabbit? If you can make it so she can't chew any cables and get to poisonous plants, or other pets, then she will just need a hay filled litter tray and a water bowl or bottle. I use wood pellet cat litter under the hay for my rabbits litter trays.

Same as Zoobec really.
Both my buns are house bunnies, they have their own dedicated room which does have a cage but they're never shut in it.
We do allow ours access outside though as going from hot to cold isn't quite so bad.. They're prepared for it and can come in anytime they get too cold to be gradually warmed again.

With going from cold to heat there is an increased risk of respiratory issues. (Think about when you go from being freezing cold to a hot room and how your nostrils just burn etc).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Same as Zoobec really.
Both my buns are house bunnies, they have their own dedicated room which does have a cage but they're never shut in it.
We do allow ours access outside though as going from hot to cold isn't quite so bad.. They're prepared for it and can come in anytime they get too cold to be gradually warmed again.

With going from cold to heat there is an increased risk of respiratory issues. (Think about when you go from being freezing cold to a hot room and how your nostrils just burn etc).

Has this been proved? I would have thought it was the opposite.

The way I understand it, and I have never read this in a Rabbit Care Book, although it might be in one, is a rabbit's nose is very sensitive as rabbits do live by smell and hearing. Together with this they also carry Pasteurella in their noses and if this becomes disturbed or unbalanced the rabbit gets what is known as Snuffles and its nose runs. When this happens it can be very difficult to get under control, and some rabbits never become fully well again, some get worse and have to spend the rest of their life with this condition. The rabbit can't smell properly and has to keep wiping its nose which is not nice. When they have to undergo a big temperature change it is stressful and can bring about this condition.

Has this been proved? I would have thought it was the opposite.

The way I understand it, and I have never read this in a Rabbit Care Book, although it might be in one, is a rabbit's nose is very sensitive as rabbits do live by smell and hearing. Together with this they also carry Pasteurella in their noses and if this becomes disturbed or unbalanced the rabbit gets what is known as Snuffles and its nose runs. When this happens it can be very difficult to get under control, and some rabbits never become fully well again, some get worse and have to spend the rest of their life with this condition. The rabbit can't smell properly and has to keep wiping its nose which is not nice. When they have to undergo a big temperature change it is stressful and can bring about this condition.
I'll have a look when I can. I did read it on a report online by a rabbit savvy vet but not 100% sure where from.

I've tried to have a look but can't find it :(

But I'm not sure if we've misunderstood each other? Do you mean there is more risk going from hot to cold, or cold to hot, or there is no risk?

Last edited:
It isn't something I would do as I believe any big change in temperature is best avoided. Would be ok in the warmer months, but not during the winter. It would be different if your rabbit could come and go as she pleased through an open door. I assume she has a large hutch with a permanently attached run - which she will love to share with a companion.

I've tried to have a look but can't find it :(

But I'm not sure if we've misunderstood each other? Do you mean there is more risk going from hot to cold, or cold to hot, or there is no risk?

From hot to cold. If it were me it would be more of a shock rather than cold to hot. I am not sure where I got this idea from where it's bad for rabbits to go in and out. I'll have a Google later on.

From hot to cold. If it were me it would be more of a shock rather than cold to hot. I am not sure where I got this idea from where it's bad for rabbits to go in and out. I'll have a Google later on.
I always thought it was the other way. But I guess in theory, any dramatic change in temperature could cause snuffles.
I think if they're used to indoor and are then put outside with no choice, it would possibly be more likely. But if bun has a choice to avoid the cold temperature maybe it's not as bad as they'll be prepared? I'm not sure.

Back