• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runaround tubes & muscle wastage in back legs

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I've had a runaround setup for 4-5 years and I love it, it's perfect. My recently adopted new boy has some trouble with his back legs - it's a muscle weakness, or old wastage, which means he drags his back legs a little. It is mainly noticeable when he tries to jump anywhere as he sometimes misses or his back legs splay out underneath him. Also when he hops on the patio you can hear his nails scraping along the patio sometimes.

He is really struggling with the runaround tube. I took 4ft of the length out and put it in the shed and he manages that fine, and he has been down the full 24 or 28ft length of the tube two times but once he's in the run he then is very hesitant to go back up the tube. It's not on any huge hill or anything.

He knows what the tube is for and he's forever putting his head and shoulders in but I notice that when he tries to go in his back legs splay out whereas Tapla uses them to push herself in, and his back legs definitely do drag along the inside of the tube as you can hear it when he goes down the 4ft piece.

He was very nervous of the garden which I let them in to free range (supervised) once a week or so. He is gaining in confidence and I've been hoping that his confidence would extend to trying the runaround tube, as well as the fact that the more exercise he gets perhaps his back legs will increase in strength. However I've had him 2 and a half months now and he's still stuck in the shed. The shed is 6 x 4ft and I'm making sure he has plenty to do but I don't want him confined there long term.

I'm considering upgrading my entire runaround system to the 'larger bunnies' version. I've emailed Caroline at runaround who has been so helpful and offered to find some seconds to reduce the cost and said that recently she had experience with a bunny with a displaced hip who managed the large tube well, but I wondered if anyone else has experience with mobility problems in their bunnies and whether upgrading the tubes helped? I imagine it will really help... he's only 2.25kg so the larger tube should give him the space to nearly hop properly...

As a side issue to what you've described, would you and your vet be willing to consider a shot of anabolic steroids to build up muscle? I found it worked wonders on my arthritic old lady of 13 years ... really gave a new lease of life and a renewed appetite :D

As a side issue to what you've described, would you and your vet be willing to consider a shot of anabolic steroids to build up muscle? I found it worked wonders on my arthritic old lady of 13 years ... really gave a new lease of life and a renewed appetite :D

I hadn't even considered that to be honest, as I'm quite inexperienced with any kind of muscle problems. I have taken him for a checkup at my usual exotics practice where he didn't see Molly Varga but he did see the next most qualified vet (since Marie Kubiak left). He didn't feel it was bad enough to warrant any painkillers etc but advised me that if I found he had any significant problems then the next step would be to put him under for x-rays to determine what the problem is - whether it's wastage, or something similar to hip dysplasia, or something else. He said the most likely cause was muscle weakness/wastage though. I might pop an email over to him and see what he thinks, thank you for the advice!

I hadn't even considered that to be honest, as I'm quite inexperienced with any kind of muscle problems. I have taken him for a checkup at my usual exotics practice where he didn't see Molly Varga but he did see the next most qualified vet (since Marie Kubiak left). He didn't feel it was bad enough to warrant any painkillers etc but advised me that if I found he had any significant problems then the next step would be to put him under for x-rays to determine what the problem is - whether it's wastage, or something similar to hip dysplasia, or something else. He said the most likely cause was muscle weakness/wastage though. I might pop an email over to him and see what he thinks, thank you for the advice!

You're welcome :D

It takes a few days to 'kick in' and lasts between 5 and 6 weeks x

Slight update - Caroline at runaround suggested a mesh tunnel to replace the middle part of the tube, to give Winston a chance to hop normally in between the tube lengths. Luckily I have an 8x2x2 run lying around that used to be part of their setup, so tomorrow we're going to put that up and put 8ft of tube at either end (that's the plan, but one end may end up being 12ft if it doesn't reach). Once that's up I can actually put Winston in the little narrow run and hopefully he might have the brains/confidence to be able to manage one of the tubes and then maybe the other!

Fingers crossed :shock:

I haven't spoken to the vet yet about steroid injections, I thought I'd try and encourage him first and then if he's really not going for it I'll go back to them then :D

Slight update - Caroline at runaround suggested a mesh tunnel to replace the middle part of the tube, to give Winston a chance to hop normally in between the tube lengths. Luckily I have an 8x2x2 run lying around that used to be part of their setup, so tomorrow we're going to put that up and put 8ft of tube at either end (that's the plan, but one end may end up being 12ft if it doesn't reach). Once that's up I can actually put Winston in the little narrow run and hopefully he might have the brains/confidence to be able to manage one of the tubes and then maybe the other!

Fingers crossed :shock:

I haven't spoken to the vet yet about steroid injections, I thought I'd try and encourage him first and then if he's really not going for it I'll go back to them then :D

Sounds like a good plan :thumb:

Fingers crossed for him :)

Well I've put the run out and I put him in it for about an hour, but he stayed in there the entire time! I'm going to give him a little while to try and figure it out though.

Thanks for the good wishes, I think I'll need them!

dNRWQ5P.jpg

92y3v1A.jpg

Aboleth wouldn't go down the tube to the lawn at first because it was very new and only in place occasionally, and she couldn't see the end! She did go down once and then back up all 4' she'd managed :roll: I hope he a.) works it out and b.) can do it :D

Ahh, my clever little man has managed it today :love: He's been in the little run and the big run! I'm so pleased that he's no longer stuck inside the shed :love:

Back