• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pasteurella

Hello,
I have 2 bunnies :) One of them have a pasteurella in the nose and also in year the now. I don't know what to do. She take antybiotic on pasteurella in the nose, but My vet do nothing with pasteurella in the ear (otitis media). My vet told me yesterday that they need to do x-ray, clean her ear and some antibiotic will be given, but the cost is too high for mee £200 :( I went to the PDSA in Glasgow and the stupid vet who don't know nothing about rabbit said to me that they can't do anything and I need to wait when illness will be worse, Bella will have a problem with coordination and balance and then put her to sleep. WTF? They should help me because I don't wanna put her to sleep because 70% of cases end in death. Please help me, what I need to do? I'm Polish, but I live in Scotland and I'm sorry for my mistakes. In Poland vets giving penicillin for pasteruella in the ear, I don't know what to do the now. I know so many people who have rabbits with pasteurella and their rabbits still alive. Bella was adopted from Pets at home anyway and she was sick when I took her. Please help me save my bunny:(

Hello,
I have 2 bunnies :) One of them have a pasteurella in the nose and also in year the now. I don't know what to do. She take antybiotic on pasteurella in the nose, but My vet do nothing with pasteurella in the ear (otitis media). My vet told me yesterday that they need to do x-ray, clean her ear and some antibiotic will be given, but the cost is too high for mee £200 :( I went to the PDSA in Glasgow and the stupid vet who don't know nothing about rabbit said to me that they can't do anything and I need to wait when illness will be worse, Bella will have a problem with coordination and balance and then put her to sleep. WTF? They should help me because I don't wanna put her to sleep because 70% of cases end in death. Please help me, what I need to do? I'm Polish, but I live in Scotland and I'm sorry for my mistakes. In Poland vets giving penicillin for pasteruella in the ear, I don't know what to do the now. I know so many people who have rabbits with pasteurella and their rabbits still alive. Bella was adopted from Pets at home anyway and she was sick when I took her. Please help me save my bunny:(

Hello, I am really sorry to hear of Bella's problems. Would the Vet you saw first of all agree to you setting up a payment plan so you pay off the £200 in weekly instalments ? Some Vets will do this in certain circumstances and if you explain to the Vet what happened when you went to the PDSA too. Which frankly seems to be rather strange.

Injectable Penicillin is often prescribed to treat Otitis and also to treat some Respiratory Tract infections. I hope that the Vet you saw first of all will be empathetic to your situation x

Hello,

Hi there and welcome to RU :wave:

I'm sorry to hear of your rabbit and the treatment you've had at the vets. Can you go back to the P.D.S.A. and request to see another vet? It does sound a bit strange what you've recounted.

I also agree with you, that injectable penicillin is a good way to go with the issues you've described.

Also, if she was already sick when you took her from Pets at Home, I believe they have some liability, so you may want to go and speak with a vet there about them treating her for free for you.

Good luck xx

I had Payment in installments when I had to do nose swap with antybiogram to check if it is pasteurella. But they start treat Bella only if the entire amount was already paid :( I really paid so much money for her health but right now it's too much :( I crying from yesterday because I'm useless and hopeless... Any vets can't give me a help. Tomorrow I'm going to other vets and also my first vet. She is 10 months old, she is too young to die :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there and welcome to RU :wave:

I'm sorry to hear of your rabbit and the treatment you've had at the vets. Can you go back to the P.D.S.A. and request to see another vet? It does sound a bit strange what you've recounted.

I also agree with you, that injectable penicillin is a good way to go with the issues you've described.

Also, if she was already sick when you took her from Pets at Home, I believe they have some liability, so you may want to go and speak with a vet there about them treating her for free for you.

Good luck xx

Hello ;)
I think to go to other PDSA because in Glasgow are 2 clinics. The biggest problem is that I have no time, I need to do everything I can before Saturday, because I'm going to Poland to see my family and close some issues.

Hello ;)
I think to go to other PDSA because in Glasgow are 2 clinics. The biggest problem is that I have no time, I need to do everything I can before Saturday, because I'm going to Poland to see my family and close some issues.

I'm glad you've other places to explore, as it's clear you love your Bella very much!

I hope you squeeze in a visit, and let me know how you get on :D

I am heartbroken, I need to save my bunny life because she deserves for it :( Do you know what I should to say to vet? What I have to say the most important to receive help and not give to dispose of as today? Thank you :)

Back