• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks :(

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

Foxy has developed, had them for a while but they don't seem to bother her too much, if at all but it bothers me.

She currently lives in a large hutch, 7ft x 3ft with five start access to an 8ft run via a tube.
The hutch is lined with a deep vet bed, and hay in her bathroom area.

The hocks are on her back feet, and seem to be under her toes on the front feet.

She weighs 2.1kg, and is 8 years old.

I feel terrible, but aware she is looked after better than Hubby lol.

Sar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisc has sore hocks and i've found cotton sheets to be really good at reducing the redness of them. maybe try those wrapped around the vetbed?

bisc has sore hocks and i've found cotton sheets to be really good at reducing the redness of them. maybe try those wrapped around the vetbed?

I second this and yes, I do use Vetbed underneath.

I would also ask your Vet to take a look at Foxy. Older Rabbits may develop sore hocks/feet due to becoming less mobile/weight-bearing differently to normal due to arthritis. If there were to be any arthritis then obviously that would require treatment too, aswell as the sore hocks/feet.

Is the skin broken/ulcerated at all ?

This link may be useful to read :

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.asp

Hello,

Foxy has developed, had them for a while but they don't seem to bother her too much, if at all but it bothers me.

She currently lives in a large hutch, 7ft x 3ft with five start access to an 8ft run via a tube.
The hutch is lined with a deep vet bed, and hay in her bathroom area.

The hocks are on her back feet, and seem to be under her toes on the front feet.

She weighs 2.1kg, and is 8 years old.

I feel terrible, but aware she is looked after better than Hubby lol.

Sar

Keeping the nails clipped short will help distribute the weight evenly. If the hocks get any worse get the vet to asses her mobility and if there's any other issues that might be causing it.

Is the run on grass or concrete?

It's so frustrating, especially when you know you look after them better than you do yourself lol! Thank you

Sar

So poor Foxy ripped open one of her hocks on her back foot, suspect on the corrugated connecting tube from hutch -> run, or vice versa. Has been to the vets, and is not fashioning a very secure bandage, first one came off before we were home and out the travel box lol!!

Any advice? She is on paper wool and vet bed, as soft as I can make her and is hutch bound as advised by the vet.

I know Frances Harcourt Brown covered sore hocks in her recent lectures but I didn't go. There was a slide of a bunny having a little boot made of pipe lagging with an exposed sole. Vibes for your bunny

So poor Foxy ripped open one of her hocks on her back foot, suspect on the corrugated connecting tube from hutch -> run, or vice versa. Has been to the vets, and is not fashioning a very secure bandage, first one came off before we were home and out the travel box lol!!

Any advice? She is on paper wool and vet bed, as soft as I can make her and is hutch bound as advised by the vet.

I think you'll have to get your vet to come up with some suggestions that she's confident will work. I made little boots and socks for an outdoor bunny with sore hocks, but not everyone is good at sewing!

I also use a natural cream on the feet - totally harmless but very healing. What does your vet recommend?

I know Frances Harcourt Brown covered sore hocks in her recent lectures but I didn't go. There was a slide of a bunny having a little boot made of pipe lagging with an exposed sole. Vibes for your bunny

Yes, this is really the only suitable type of dressing for sore hocks. One that resembles a corn plaster taking all pressure off the ulcerated area.

Is Foxy on pain relief and antibiotics ?

I think you'll have to get your vet to come up with some suggestions that she's confident will work. I made little boots and socks for an outdoor bunny with sore hocks, but not everyone is good at sewing!

I also use a natural cream on the feet - totally harmless but very healing. What does your vet recommend?

The vet has suggested replacing the connecting pipe she has going to her run, as it corrugated and to leave out hay in her bathroom/litter tray until she heals (as she likes to eat and poo) lol

What do you use for flooring in the hutch?
Foxy has a good sized hayrack, so still eats hay.

Yes, this is really the only suitable type of dressing for sore hocks. One that resembles a corn plaster taking all pressure off the ulcerated area.

Is Foxy on pain relief and antibiotics ?

I assume I will need to dress this on-going so it doesn't happen again, or once they heal with they be okay without a dressing?

Fox is on baytril & metacam.

I assume I will need to dress this on-going so it doesn't happen again, or once they heal with they be okay without a dressing?

Fox is on baytril & metacam.

It really depends on so many things. Sometimes dressings are needed longterm. But sometimes, whilst full fur regrowth may never occur the skin will harden sufficiently and not break down. It will of course always be essential to keep the Rabbit on a suitable substrate. Carpets, concrete, hard wood/vinyl flooring not being helpful when trying to manage a case of chronic sore hocks.

I dont know if you have already seen this information

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.asp

This link gives details of how Sore Hocks are Graded, what treatment is needed will depend on what Grade of Sore Hocks the Rabbit has :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

The vet has suggested replacing the connecting pipe she has going to her run, as it corrugated and to leave out hay in her bathroom/litter tray until she heals (as she likes to eat and poo) lol

What do you use for flooring in the hutch?
Foxy has a good sized hayrack, so still eats hay.

Flooring in hutches etc is best something like stable matting. Has your vet recommended any creams or coverings? Depending on the damage and how much the skin is broken, you could discuss using liquid bandage with your vet. People on here have had their vets recommend it and found it very useful though I haven't used it myself.

There's some really good info here:

FHB advised I used liquid skin (there is a prescription only version, I can't remember the name) on Noodles sore hocks but apparently its only suitable for non broken skin

Back