• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Expectant rabbit

AngelaH

New Kit
Hi, my bunny is expecting and I'm not really sure what I need to do... I have read that I ought to separate the father but allow him close enough to nuzzle the doe. Not quite sure how to achieve that!!
Also, is a plastic box acceptable for the birthing box? Like a cat little tray type??
Thanks in advance, I really want to make sure it all goes well.
Ang

Hi, my bunny is expecting and I'm not really sure what I need to do... I have read that I ought to separate the father but allow him close enough to nuzzle the doe. Not quite sure how to achieve that!!
Also, is a plastic box acceptable for the birthing box? Like a cat little tray type??
Ang

Hello

I am assuming this was an unplanned litter ?

If the Buck remains with the Doe he will almost certainly impregnate her again as soon as she kindles. So litter 2 would arrive when litter 1 was only 4 weeks old. So yes, you do need to remove the Buck. Preferably as far away from her as possible as being within sight/smell of her will be VERY frustrating for him, especially as she kindles and becomes very fertile. The smell of her will drive an entire Buck crazy as all his instincts will tell him he has to mate. If you are not intending to continue to breed then now may be a good time to consult a Vet about having your Buck castrated.

This thread provides information about planned litters:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

And this one about unplanned litters:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Well, don't worry too much about the feelings of the buck, he may be quite agitated when in a cage that is close (extra cage, or solid divider, not just a wire divider), but as far as I've seen they can deal with that. Anyway - you'll have to remove him in time, since the last days are quite a strain to the doe, most likely she will not mind being left alone (you'll have to make up with petting and nose rubs), I would remove the buck at least a week before kindling if it's a very nice, calm and friendly buck, if he pesters the doe I would remove him right away. This would be a good oportunity to have him neutered if you plan to put them together after she kindled (without planning another litter), by the time his 6 weeks of healing and getting infertile are over the kits will be old enough to leave the nest and slowly start on solid food. I've never seen an adult rabbit being anything else than friendly to kits.

If you're not absolutly sure about the date she's due it's better to remove him early. Although the stress of a litter is imho somewhat overemphasized in the first link, a second pregnancy right away is really a hard thing for most domestic rabbits (wild ones are smaller and have not so big litters), and prone to severe problems. Although there are some breed lines that can handle that, those are imho an excemption und not pet breeds - have that in mind if anyone says it's not a big problem.

The nestbox should be big enough for the doe to lie in and turn around, although most I've seen online use a open design with a lower front wall, I prefer a closed wooden box with removeable top (for checking, or keeping a gap to control temperature) , twice the size of the doe (lenght doe stretched out, twice her width), with an entrance hole 2-3" from the bottom with a ramp in front, so that kits can't get out too easyly but can go back without obstacle. Also, the doe keeps the entrance stuffed closed for the first two weeks (natural behaviour) and maintains a nice nest in that imitation of their tunnels they would use outdoors.

Since you didn't ask what to do with the young (you should have a solution for that 8-10 weeks after kindling, depending on breed, you'll have to seperate the bucks or you'll find yourself in the middle of a bunny explosion) I assume you already have plans for that.

Last edited:
Hello

I am assuming this was an unplanned litter ?

If the Buck remains with the Doe he will almost certainly impregnate her again as soon as she kindles. So litter 2 would arrive when litter 1 was only 4 weeks old. So yes, you do need to remove the Buck. Preferably as far away from her as possible as being within sight/smell of her will be VERY frustrating for him, especially as she kindles and becomes very fertile. The smell of her will drive an entire Buck crazy as all his instincts will tell him he has to mate. If you are not intending to continue to breed then now may be a good time to consult a Vet about having your Buck castrated.

This thread provides information about planned litters:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

And this one about unplanned litters:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies
This

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ang

How are things now Angela?

Back