• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interesting Behavioural Issue..

rowan.godfrey

Alpha Buck
I have 2 Conti's, Che & Alexandra, brother & sister. They are 12 months in August. Both spayed/neutered at ~6 months.

Che has always enjoyed human contact - Alexandra generally much less bothered. Likes nose rubs but that's about it. Can't stand being picked up. If I'm fussing him, she would typically be off doing her own thing.

She has recently started to like a bit more contact, stroking, fussing etc. BUT if I stroke/fuss them both at the same time she has started to lunge for me a bit.

She actually lunged and growled tonight, and took a little nip at Che's backside (no harm).

Has anyone experienced this? I can't entirely work out whether it's telling me I should be fussing her and only her?

As an intermediary solution I'm trying to avoid playing with the both at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive got a male rabbit that lunges and growls at me but only in his hutch! Since yours are both neutered the behaviour seems unusual, I had Ted castrated today and im hoping it will calm his territory instincts

It sounds to me as if she is becoming more dominant, as the dominant bunny would expect to be fussed first, but can't give any explanations as to why.

Thanks both. Tonibun, I agree. When they were rebonded post neuter/spay he was definitely dominant but it does seem she may be changing that. On the plus side, we're off to the vets tomorrow for VHD2 Vaccs, so shall ask the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi there. In my experience contis, particularly females, are very jealous! I don't have anybsciencebto back that up but its true. My advice would be don't give in, push her head downwards gently but firmly when she goes for you, or if she is out of the way of the male, stamp your foot and turn your back on her. She needs to know you're top bunny :)

My current female conti used to bite my bum every time I fussed or fed the guinea pigs lol. I also had one in my twenties that wouldn't tolerate my then boyfriend sitting too close to me! She would bite his legs! The male would just pee on him :lol:

I had a female bun that would only want nose rubs if her partner was getting them. No other time.

I would suggest that you make sure aggression is never rewards, so if she growls, lunges or in any other way tries to boss you or him around you stop interacting and ignore her. Don't move away (in case she's trying to tell you to get out her space) but don't continue to interact and groom or give treats.

Avoiding the situation that triggers the behaviour, as you are doing is a good idea too. That stops it become routine.

Back